Homemade Marble Envelopes

$10.00

Want to send someone something special, but don’t want to spend a lot on a pretty card and envelope? Maybe you just want to add a personal touch to make your pen pal smile or to make your girlfriend happy when she checks the mail?

Say no more!

Today I’ve got an affordable way to customize paper with a cool marbling effect and a way to make an adorable envelope from a simple piece of paper!
You won’t need much for this project, all you need it toothpicks, shaving cream, washi tape, food coloring, a baking pan, and a butter knife.
Begin by apply washi tape around the edges of the paper.

Then fill the baking pan with shaving cream, the amount you apply in the pan depends on how many pieces of paper you will be making. Filling up the entire pan will give you at least 10 marble pages.
Next, drop your main color for the effect throughout the shaving cream and use your butter knife to gently mix the cream. It is like you’re mixing batter when you do it.
Then, take your toothpick and dip it into the second color for your marble paper.
Once your toothpick is coated in the color, begin to swirl and poke the color throughout the shaving cream. You can make swirls or you can strike your color through. Any design you want! I just swirled mine in random spots.
Now, just simply take that washi taped paper and press into the shaving cream marble mixture. Smooth your paper into the mixture so your page is totally coated.
When you peel out the paper, it should look like this. You can already see the marble effect happening.
Take your butter knife, and tip it on the smooth side (not the side with the blade, the back part) and shave off the cream. You’ll see the color being coated on the paper and you see the second (or how many other colors) you add being smeared in. It looks so cool!
Once you slowly and carefully take off the washi tape, your paper will look like this! Artistic looking, no!? 

Now for the ORIGAMI part! Yes, cause that paper isn’t going to turn into an adorable envelope by itself!
Begin by folding your paper in half and make the edges meet. Just simply fold like you would any normal piece of paper. And unfold it so it is flat and has the crease through the center of it.

Next, take the edge of the paper, and fold it to the center where the middle crease is, so you have a triangle.

Do the same to the opposite side of the paper.

Next, take the other half of the paper that isn’t folded, and fold it into the middle crease.

Do the same to the other side too. Your paper should look like a clean cut arrow or an envelope that is open.

Next, where the pointed section is, open up the middle.

And lightly press on it, and you’re going to do that for each of the two folds in the middle of the point. It will look like this when you press on the opened middle of the point lightly.

Now, open up the middle and fold it forward.

Turn the paper over, opposite the folded side you just did, and take the edge and fold it into the center crease again. Making a triangle like this, and do it for the other side too.

Once you have a triangle, you bend it down to show you the envelope!

If you had trouble following along with this, you can always search "Origami Envelope" on YouTube if you are a visual learner :)

VOILA! 

Now you have a pretty marble envelope to send in the mail to friends and family filled with little notes and cute goodies!

• Washi Tape  (Michael's Arts and Crafts)
  • Paper  (Printer Machine)
  • Food Coloring  (Food Store)

16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute

• Peggy Greene
    Peggy Greene

Do you have to let the paper dry?
  • Connie Lewis
    Connie Lewis

What are you talking about. You say like this but what is that?
    • Harriet
      Harriet

Sorry but I think she has explained the procedure quite well. There was only one "like this" and that was underneath a picture documenting what is being done. Which part don't you understand?
    • Bernadine
      Bernadine

Connnie, you mean this... " It will look like this when you press on the opened middle of the point lightly.".... yeah there's no picture showing this...a bit confusing...gonna watch it on you tube!
  • GBK
    GBK

Did you washi tape both sides of the paper? In the first picture it looks like you're pressing the back side into the shaving cream; then in the rest of the pictures you see the washi tape again.
  • Lbo15128297
    Lbo15128297

are you taping both sides of the paper?
    • Sootie
      Sootie

I noticed the same thing. I thought I was missing something or maybe she was doing the same thing on the back...and make it two sided.
  • Silverdust
    Silverdust

Can you start with an envelope?
  • Msa22334458
    Msa22334458

Can't you use the blue painters tape?
  • Melanie
    Melanie

Yours looks beautiful. I'll give it a try.
    This could be a really fun project to do with children.
    Does the paper retain the scent of the foam?
  • Linda Fraser
    Linda Fraser

My question is, when you went to fold it. Where did the washa tape gp?

• Denise Dome
    Denise Dome

Can you tell me about how long the drying time would be before you would start the folding? Once dried do you have any problem with the color bleeding onto something else. I love the idea! I do wish you had more pictures of the folding process but it is pretty as stationary too as long as the color stays on the paper and not on anything else!
  • Trudy Coyle
    Trudy Coyle

I think I missed a step. Do you let the paper dry before you remove the washi tape and fold the paper into an envelope? It looks lovely. Thank you for sharing the idea.
  • Leslie
    Leslie

Yeah, I assume you let the paper dry thoroughly first before folding it? Also, what do you do with the washi-tape - Leave it on or take it off? And if you take it off then when do you do this - after the paper is dry?
  • Tanya Ickes Rogers
    Tanya Ickes Rogers

Simply beautiful
  • JohnHW
    JohnHW

My i suggest instead of a butter knife a ruler or a sparkling blade. The plastic blades that come 3 different sizes in a pack without handles. You can get them at Lowe's, etc and maybe even Wal-Mart.
    Hope this suggestion works.
  • Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz
    Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

Why do you need to use washi tape? Wouldn't painters tape work?
    • Gail lockey
      Gail lockey

painters tape might not peel off the paper as easily and spoil your finished paper 😀
  • Ser24524234
    Ser24524234

Do you allow paper to dry before folding?
  • Bus12457477
    Bus12457477

what is washi tape?
  • Susan Pelley Filtrante
    Susan Pelley Filtrante

Does the smell of the shaving cream remain on the fabric / paper?
    • Tina Tenace
      Tina Tenace

You would set the die with. White vinegar 1 tablspoon. Per 1cup water. Then launder. I would not want to wipe my mouth with stiff dry shave crean.
  • Glenna
    Glenna

I asked a mail carrier at the post office if I could make my own envelope out of construction paper and the answer was no! Has this actually successfully been mailed?
    • Msj13094028
      Msj13094028

I don't believe she used construction paper it is printer paper. The mail carrier at the post office was right a card can't be made out of construction paper because it may not show up in the canceling machines that they use. Paper used for printing should be fine.
    • Glenna
      Glenna

Yes, this envelope was made out of printer paper. I jumped to the conclusion that the post office wouldn't accept printer machine paper, 'cause I'd tried construction paper in the past and it was not accepted. I drew the conclusion that ALL "unusual" paper wouldn't be accepted. The finished product is quite unique and pretty! May try it! Thanks for your reply.
    • Becky
      Becky

I've used scrapbooking paper to make fancy envelopes and they've been delivered just fine.
    • Myra Rivers
      Myra Rivers

Most mail from prisons the envelope IS a sheet of paper folder.
    • Carrie Harrison
      Carrie Harrison

Depending on the size of the envelope, the amount of postage needed may change. I have made my own envelopes several times and successfully mailed them. I have not, however; ever made any from construction paper.

• Key13683363
      Key13683363

Construction paper is too matted and porus andoften bleeds if gets wet and tears easily

• Mary
      Mary

This may be a late response but I make my own envelopes from all types of material and the go through the mail just fine. Ask the post office.

• Pamela Bingham
      Pamela Bingham

I made envelopes out of old calendars and the USPO said it was fine as long white labels are used for the address (To and From). Weight of paper could possibly add to postage costs.

• Con25436990
    Con25436990

What is washi paper and where do I find it?
    • Mag13014723
      Mag13014723

I believe you use plain paper, like the copy paper for you use for your printer. It is Washi tape, that is a light weight, decorative tape you buy at Walmart or , Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. You use this because it peels off easier, you could do this without the tape around the paper as it gets removed anyway.
    • Diane
      Diane

You can also find it at your dollar store. 😊
  • Chatycms
    Chatycms

Can one use painter’s tape instead of washi tape?