Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Tire Rim Water Hose Holder

$15

If you're looking for a quick project to brighten up your yard this summer, here's something to consider, especially if your water hose is just coiled up on the ground. I've seen similar ideas so I thought I'd try my hand at it and I love how this upcycle turned out!

tire rim water hose holder

SUPPLIES:

• Old tire rim
  • 4x4 wooden post
  • Rustoleum Gloss Coral spray paint
  • Behr exterior "Margarita" lime green paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Hillman 1/2" washers
  • 1/2"x10" galvanized lag bolt/screw
  • DeWalt drill
  • Hex drive socket
  • Drill bit

Not pictured:'

• Shovel
  • Tamper (optional)
tire rim water hose holder

STEP 1: Paint rim and post

I wanted my hose hanger to be bright and fun so I decided to spray paint the tire rim a glossy coral color. You can choose any color scheme--have fun with it!

tire rim water hose holder

To go along with my bright, fun color scheme, I painted the post with a lime green Behr exterior paint I had on hand called "Margarita". I feel like it screamed SUMMER!

tire rim water hose holder

How fun are these colors?! Our water hose is black so I thought of watermelons when I saw these coral and lime green colors.

tire rim water hose holder

STEP 2: Attach tire rim to post

Next, I used a DeWalt drill to create a starter hole on the post. I only drilled about 2" into the post. DON'T DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH!

tire rim water hose holder

Then, I slide a 1/2" washer onto the lug screw...

tire rim water hose holder

and inserted the screw into the starter hole on the post.

tire rim water hose holder

Finally, I used a hex drive socket on my drill to drive the lag screw into the post which secured the tire rim onto the post.

*Note: My supply list shows 2 lag screws but I ended up only using 1.

tire rim water hose holder

STEP 3: Secure post

At last, I dug a hole where I wanted my water hose post to be. The hole ended up being about a foot deep.

tire rim water hose holder

Once the hole was dug, I held the post in it while my brother (he flew up from NC to visit for the weekend so I put him to work) filled in the hole.

*If you want extra security for your post, feel free to mix up some concrete and pour into the hole before inserting the post.

tire rim water hose holder

If decide not to make your post permanent by adding concrete, you'll need a tamper to keep your post stationery...that's what Rob and I agreed to do for ours.

tire rim water hose holder

Because I can be a bit meticulous, I went back and sprayed the lag screw with the coral spray paint so the silver didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Here's the final result of our fun little water hose holder. I think it turned out super cute and it brightens up our yard a bit.

tire rim water hose holder

Once the hole was dug, if you want extra security for your post, feel free to mix up some concrete and pour into the hole before inserting the post.

• Glitter girl

Looks like at the next good rain, your post may become quite loose? Are you going to cement it in?

• Joe Jones

She said she isn’t they are only tamping it down she and Rob agreed. But just because you dug a hole doesn’t mean it will just wash away. If you tamp your dirt back it will stay put. I have a pole in the ground and only 12” and it’s been there 5 years and I live in Florida home of the thunderstorm do things right and you don’t have to have concrete unless you are putting a lot of weight on it.

• Kay Fry Catalano

Any way to add a crank to this for winding the hose back on?

• Joe Jones

Or just stand on one side left or right and spin the rim with your hands

• Constanza

I want to do this, but I am afraid my hose might be too heavy, I have 40mts of it. May I ask how much Jose do you have?