How to Load the Dishwasher {so All of the Dishes Come Out Clean}

It's always disappointing when you pull a dish out of the recently run dishwasher to find that it still has food particles stuck to it. Older and lower end model dishwashers typically have this problem if you overload the dishwasher and/or load it incorrectly. I have a few tips to help load your dishwasher properly and have the dishes come out clean on the first try.
Check out the blog for additional tips.
Load bowls every other tine to leave a large enough gap for water to rinse the dish clean.
Wash large dishes in their own load instead of a mixed load. This way the pots have enough space and so they don't take up too much space in a regular load. (Some pots and pans are not dishwasher safe.)
Place dishes facing towards the middle as that is typically where the water sprays out. Some dishwasher tines are designed to encourage this behavior.
Place cups between tines, not over so two rows of cups can fit and so they stay in place.
Mix up the silverware so they do not stack on top of each other like they do in the drawer. My preference is also handle up so I do not touch the clean eating end.

Angela

• Eroque022810

Shouldn't bowls face each other to be cleaned and rinsed properly ? And what about dishwashers were you have no other way to place dishes due to tines. That's my dishwasher. But only lowest level is like that, the middle level has bowels facing each other. Yes I too place bowel like you show because of shape of bowls. I hate my dishwasher but I'm going to try all the advice on this site to have clean sparkling glasses. Dishes come out fine, but middle level doesn't seem to have enough holes that's my last resort to drill more holes. But I'll try less dramatic things first.
  • Sally Alter

Do you mean you use the rinse cycle in the dishwasher? I generally run dishes under the tap if they have food on them.

• Dee

I have always used the methods described above and NEVER rinse my dishes. I figure, 'what is the point of the dishwasher if you pre-wash the dishes?'. I won't say never, but very very rarely ever have to re-wash anything. And my dishes often are in there for a day or two, as I only wash with a full load.

• Sally Alter

Yes, Dee, I do exactly the same thing and rarely have a problem. The only difference is that I do rinse off bits of food on plates because I don't want this in the dishwasher. What do you do about this?

• Ann Kralik

The only time I pre-rinse my dishes is when I have red spaghetti sauce on them so the red sauce does not stain my plastic ware.