Total Yard Makeover

$700

Moving to a new house with a big backyard definitely has its perks. However, what do you do when the current situation requires a complete makeover? How do you even begin, especially when all you have is soil with plenty of unwanted greens? Well, it is actually simpler than you think! All you need is a little bit of imagination (not very good at it? no problem since hometalk and pinterest are your friends), setting an initial budget, planning and definitely some help from friends.

I decided to cover most of the soil with synthetic grass, to place garden stones, chippings and short fences around it and to leave some space for the flowers and plants.

Phase 1 - The basics
Step 1 - Clean the soil from unwanted greens
Step 2 - Pay a visit to your nearest DIY store and purchase the basic materials needed (synthetic grass, white stones, chippings, wood fencing, sand and geotextiles in order to create even soil but also prevent unwanted greens from growing in the future, garden fences, wooden boxes for decoration, a couple of triangle shading sails). Finally, ask your parents if they can spare some plants... at least for phase 1 .
Step 3 -  Call your friends, put some beers in the fridge, have fun and do some serious work!
Step 4: A few hours later you can enjoy completing phase 1.
Phase 2 - The small details

I found phase 2 to be the most rewarding phase of the makeover. Phase 2 requires you to handle the small details that can bring your backyard to a whole new level. In-addition, it’s time for gardening :)

Again, use your imagination but this time take your time since making some additions or small twists to the initial planning, is an ongoing process. One thing is certain though. You will enjoy every single minute in your new DIY backyard!

25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans

• Barbara Best Thomas

How did you account for drainage?
    • George Yiannakas

Hey Barbara and Libby, we did place sand and fabric underneath the grass. In fact, we placed sand and geotextile fabric all over the area and later on cut some holes for the plants. Not tested yet but i am expecting it to drain well.
  • Wandamurline

Does the color fade with the sun? I live in SE Texas and the sun shines very hot and a lot here. I also would like to know about what this grass would cost....Sam's had some and it was VERY expensive.
    • P

In SE La/New Orleans artificial turf gets so hot in the summer - and radiates the heat back up for so long - the football games have to be played at 7pm or it is too uncomfortable for the football team to play on!

• CWise

How far did you place the stones on top of the "artificial" grass to hold it in place? What did you use in the "open area" of the grass area to keep it held down and from shifting over time? BTW......I just LOVE what you did. No maintenance except for maybe vacuuming, blowing and/or hosing down! My kinda "grass".
    • Mary Russell

I think this would be somewhat difficult for our 3 plus acre yard area but it sure would be nice not having to mow when the weather gets so hot.Also could sell all these mowers,8 at last count,I believe,but the way my memory seems to be fading at 76 (77 in 2 months?)there may be one or two I've missed,ha.

• Joanie

I guess I 'll stick to real grass.......Long hard road, but we'll make it work!

• Jill Krol

I've had artificial turf at 2 homes and you can figure it is expensive. It was beautiful. I had it in 117 degree weather with no issues of melting, fading, etc. There are places online that you can buy it, so check it out first. With the turf I had, you could not see the seams. They used a black sand to fluff up the blades and hold down the turf along with ground staples. Underneath it was a fine red sand-like material that hardened after wetting and kept out the weeds. I also found that I preferred the longer grass to the shorter grass. The longer one looked real whereas the shorter one looked like artificial grass. Just my opinion.