Diane
Diane
  • Tutorial Team
  • Olyphant, PA

GAZING "FALL" BALL

$12

I know another gazing ball project. It just happened, I went to a yard sale but there was no way I'm passing up this deal, 2 bowling balls for $3. Here is my chance to make a gazing ball. Fall is almost here but I thought I'd get at least a month of enjoyment from it being in the garden. Now also, I'm thinking I have a start for Spring 2018. Here is what I started with.
gazing fall ball
I used sand paper to scuff the ball, so the glue would grab better. Then I punched holes in the bottom of gladware container, for drainage. I also put some glass gems on the bottom of the bowl and placed the bowling ball on it. I put the side with the holes face down.
gazing fall ball
Here's the great idea. I got one my end tables, turned on the t.v . I got all my supplies together and started placing the glass gems. There was no pattern, I'm sure it would have came out better if I did. This was fast and easy and then again I have the other bowling ball.
gazing fall ball
I started at the top of the bowling ball and just started gluing on the glass gems.I did about half, one evening. The next night I finished it up. Where there was some gaps I used some leftover stones from other projects I did. I didn't do the last quarter of the ball because you wouldn't see this when in the garden. The flowers will cover it.
gazing fall ball
This is it in the garden from the front and back. I just loved being able to relax and didn't have to think about where everything went. Just keep gluing.
gazing fall ball
Front view
gazing fall ball
Back view. On to the next project, solar light..good again for Spring 2018. Everything is on sale now!

• Gorilla glue  (Lowes)
  • Gladware bowl  (Had lots with missing lids)
  • Glass gems  (Where else, the dollar store)

• Marie

You inspired me to try my own version. The bowling ball was to heavy and big for my purpose. I used a small rubber ball from the Dollar Tree where I bought the gems. I wished I could've found the colorful gems you used but all the store near me had were green and blue, with the grout I think they stand out alright. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Diane

The bowling ball is quite heavy..I might try something lighter next time. I'm happy I could inspire you.