Retro Dinette Set

$25

Here's how I made over a retro dinette set. I inherited this cute dinette set and in my mind I had a vision...
I used furniture stripper and palm sander on table top. The chairs didn't need furniture stripper I only used floor stripper to remove the years worth of furniture polish. The chairs needed some repairs on the backs and wood filler.
I Sanded and repaired the backs of the chairs, then stained with black cherry stain. I added three coats of varnish for durability. I reapholstered the seats with some cute retro fabric I found at the local thrift store
I stripped and sanded the table top and applied the gorgeous black cherry stain and several coats of semigloss varnish.
I sanded lightly between varnish coats, and did everything to the table extension board ...

More sanding, and more varnish...
This is the stain..
Several coats of varnish...
And this this is the finished Dinette Set, Pretty cue if I do say so myself!!
This is how the table looks without the extension...
Project complete! I love the new and improved dinette set :)

• I used furniture stripper on table top  (Home Depot)
  • Black Cherry wood stain, semi gloss varnish  (Home Depot)
  • Fabric for chair apholstery  (Local Thrift Store)

• Roe10253088

Do you need place mats or a table cloth for protection from staining. Looking for something I can just wipe off .
    • Christel Roselle

Thank you, no place mats or table cloth needed, I put several coats of semi gloss varnish and it should be safe foe hot n cold and easy wiping
  • Cheri Schumacher

It looks great! I was wondering how to redo, just the top of our dining room table. I have used an oil for a few years, to protect it, but that is getting to be too much work, every time one or our little ones is a the table. It sounds like --use some stripper, and sand. Then use a stain followed by a varnish (was the polyurethane oil or water based) Was you stain, oil or water based?
    Thanks for your help. I will be glad to have something on the table top that I don't have to worry about glasses sweating on , and just being able to wipe it off. With little grand kids, it's hard to keep up with them.

• Christel Roselle

Hello, I'm glad that you are inspired to do your table top. I used both oil based stain and varnish, because that is what I had already. But I have used both water based stain and varnish as well with just as much success. It is much easier cleanup and is every bit as durable as the oil based stuff. I find oil based varnish does yellow after time when used with lighter stains such as golden oak colours. If you are using a darker stain it will look great for years.
      Remember if you use water based stain you can use eighther oil or water varnish, but if you use oil stain you must use oil varnish or water based vanish will not dry only bead up. I hope this helps. Good luck!! Post some before and after pictures.
  • Andrea Marino

How do you repair the wood on a table. Mine is a kitchen table with tile. The wood is a golden oak and is very worn and faded.
    • Christel Roselle

Hi Andrea, If the wood actually has gouges or deep scrapes you may need wood filler. If it is just dry and faded a good sanding with a sanding block and new stain and varnish should do. I like using the new water based stain and varnish in one.... usually one coat does the trick. Good luck!! :)

• Imt29259079

Wow! What an improvement. Love your choice of stain. Gorgeous.
    • Christel Roselle

Than you, I thought since it'e made of cherry wood, I would also use black cherry stain... made sense.

• Esther

I'm dying to transform my dining set, so this posted at just the right time. The set is in great condition, just not my style (lighter wood, almost Scandinavian). The plan is darker top with white legs. Up in the air on chair color, but I think upholstery color will dictate. Thanks for the inspiration!
    • Christel Roselle

Hello Esther. I'm glad I inspired you to transform your dining set. I'm sure it will look great!!