Allison Kohmann
Allison Kohmann
  • Palm Beach Gardens, FL

How to Turn Your Table Into a Farm Table

$50

Currently trending right now, Farm Tables and Farmhouse Decor are EVERYWHERE! I recently had a client that wanted to transform her outdated dining room table she had for years into a rustic Farm Table without breaking the bank. I was able to do just that using just one material- PAINT! This DIY Farm Table is super simple to tackle and create and will save you a ton of money. You'll be loving your new farmhouse decor in literally a day.

The best thing about this technique is that you don't have to use a natural wood table. Even if your table is mahogany or dark cherry wood, just by using a good oil-based primer and some paint, you can transform it into a farm table. Try this technique out on any table in your home, whether a coffee table, end table, kitchen table, or even a headboard or wood plank wall. Anything made of wood would look amazing using this process.

To start, simply sand down the entire table to get off any rough spots or debris. Wipe clean and prime the table entirely using a good oil-based paint if your table has a shiny varnish topcoat, or is super dark. If not, a regular water-based primer will work just fine.
how to turn your table into a farm table
After that dries, apply your first coat of paint. In this case to match the walls of her dining room, I used 3 different paints; dark grey, light grey, and cream.  I apply the darkest color first, adding a little water to the paint, which in turn makes it easier to apply and sand when dry.
After that coat dries, lightly sand down the table allowing the white primer and original table color to show through here and there.  Start with a 150 grit sandpaper and go down in number if you need to sand off more.
 Wipe clean and apply the lighter grey color (or your second lightest color), again diluting it with a little water.  Apply the same steps after that dries as above.
The last step is to spot-paint with the white or cream colored paint.  This is your last paint to apply so smooth it out as you go and apply where ever you think some light spots should be. You're going to sand this down as well after it dries to blend it in to the entire table.
Your final step after fully wiping the entire table down of any debris or dust, is to put on a final finishing coat. I prefer Rust-oleum's Chalked Matte Clear topcoat or Minwax's Polycrylic in Satin (water-based). Avoid making it too shiny because this is a farm table and we want to keep it as rustic and natural looking as possible.
Lastly have fun with it! This shouldn't be stressful AT ALL!  The colors you choose are YOUR CHOICE and should be ones that match the colors of your home or room.  The table shouldn't look perfect so if you mess up it's totally fine, just paint over whatever spot(s) you don't like and sand it again to blend in.  If after you paint your last coat with the white/cream color you feel it's too light, no problem.  Just go back into either of the darker colors and paint on some darker spots.  Again this your table so make it adhere to your taste.  Fix it however you like before putting the final finishing coat on. And enjoy your new rustic DIY FARM CHIC Farm table!
My clients love this table transformation in their home!
And a refinished hutch to match~
Allison Kohmann

• Soonernurse

So pretty! I am wondering which chalk paint you used.... or did you use latex paint? I know you gave the colors, but would you mind sharing the brands? Thank you!

• Jay

Very pretty.. the girl or the table...

• Tara

What color are the chairs? Just white or the colors of the table?

• Judy
    31 minutes ago

Do you have to use hot plates for hot dishes? Or do you just put the hot casserole dishes directly on the table?

• Dfm

rolling on floor laughing my A--- off. i'm a farm girl, farm style? white? not real practical if you are on the farm. very practical if you are on stage being filmed.

• Dfm

Dutch, I have a bit of television production in my past, 2 there are 6 family farms managed by my cousins here in iowa. Not a one has an all white farm house.

• Linda Burkhead

The table is beautiful!! Somebody always has a smart remark! I didnt pay any mind to the remark.like I said,the table is awesome.keep putting out great work.