Lilly
Lilly
  • La Habra, CA

How do I remove the ugly burnt oil stains on my stainless steel pan.

BenSwan Road DesignsShel Rian
+20

The stains are on the inside of the pan. I really don't want to scratch it.
q how do i remove the ugly burnt oil stains on my stainless steel pan
  • Shirah

To clean the grill at the place where I work we use lemon juice on the hot grill. Works great. I'd put lemon juice in the pot and heat it on the stove and then use a scubby to clean it. You want to wear gloves because it is hot.
  • You could try BarKeepers Friend.
  • Barbara Baldwin

Brilliant pads
  • CeeJay

Spray with oven cleaner, place pan in plastic bag per instructions to allow cleaner to work without drying out. Rinse and scrub with non-scratching scrubber. For stubborn remains I would feel comfortable using a very fine (#0000) steel wool, not kitchen steel wool products, to polish away stains.
    • Lilly

Thank you for your response. I will definitely break out my oven cleaner. Thanks.
  • M.rivera

i use Comet with bleach and a scotch brite pad.
  • KattywhampusLOL

Hello Lilly, I used to work in a kitchen professionally and this is one thing we learn immediately, and the other is how to prevent or limit burned oil on cookware ;) To remove this put a squirt of dish soap (I use blue Dawn now) in your pan and add 1 cup of baking soda to 2 cups of vinegar, Gently stir until it is all mixed then add enough water to bring it almost to the top. Turn the heat on low and let this stuff come to a medium simmer for at least 10-15 minutes. Allow to sit until luke warm, and use a wooden spoon or wooden spatula (or a plastic one) and try to scrape the burnt oil off. It should come off. Drain it and scrub with your dish rag, using the plastic or wooden spatula for help when needed. If it doesn't all come off, rinse well, and do it over again. As far as prevention is concerned, do NOT use spray oils, and keep a close eye on the foods as they cook. If you see the side or bottom beginning to burn, scrape it off as soon as you can (grab that wooden spoon LOL). Once you remove the pan from the heat, and it has cooled down, put water in it with vinegar and turn the fire on to low and get it simmered off. Good Luck Lilly, and thank you for asking HOMETALK about how to get burned grease off stainless steel. :)
    • Lilly

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it and I will definitely try it. Thank You again. ( This is my favorite website of all the websites out there).
  • Ginny

Brillo or baking soda and Brillo might do the trick.
  • Shirah

We use steel scrubbers on the grill, but you could use those green fiber scrubbies from the Dollar store. It might take a little more elbow grease but it would come clean.
  • Jamie

also right after cooking dump oils, grease n put hot water for easier cleaning
  • Barbara Baldwin

Brillo pads. I keep a used one in the freezer so it won't rust. Btw, I have a pan just like yours. The pad won't scratch it.
  • Judy Sakai

I burnt oil in my stainless pan. It was way worse than yours and this is what I did: Sprinkle baking soda on it and spray it with a mixture of vinegar and castile soap and warm water. Let it sit overnight, spray again and scrub with non-scratching scrubber. Should come right off AND it's non-toxic!
  • Shel Rian

Bar keepers friend
  • Swan Road Designs

Based on the shape, slope of the sides and what little I see of the handle, your pan looks like it might be a Revere skillet. If that's the case, you can't harm it by spraying the inside burned-on areas with a thick coating of oven cleaner, Easy Off, for example. Then, as has already been mentioned, seal it up tightly (leaving the handle out) and let it sit overnight. You should be able to remove the stained areas easily.

I have purchased many totally disgusting vintage pieces of Revere cookware and have been able to bring them back to nearly new using this method.

Stainless steel is very durable, so don't worry about being a bit aggressive trying to clean it.
  • Ben

baking soda does magic