Cheryl Phan
Cheryl Phan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Palm Beach, FL

How to Paint a Black and White Striped Ceiling

$50

I love creating high drama and visual interest with painted patterns and faux finishes on accent walls and ceilings. In this bedroom makeover, I created a black and white striped ceiling. And it turned out STUNNING!!!

Sp I’ve got 2 simple tricks for YOU to DIY a perfect striped ceiling!
how to paint a black and white striped ceiling
This was my client's daughter's room before. It was time to step it up as her daughter transitioned out of a little girl's room .
 I needed to get a straight line so I used a piece of wood I had lying around the studio to draw a line the width I needed. It worked out great.
Then I used low tack blue tape and ran it from one end to the other. Make sure you cover the pencil mark with the tape. When you paint in the stripe you want to cover it up. It’s best if you have someone help you unroll the tape while you apply it to the ceiling. Then step back every few minutes to make sure it’s straight.
This is the best trick ever: I used the ceiling paint to seal the tape so it wouldn’t bleed through. The last thing you want to do is a ton of touchup especially on the ceiling. Paint the inside seams of the stripes you will be painting. Use just enough paint to create a seal.
I used my favorite paint brush to cut in at the end of the stripe close to the molding and then roll on your favorite paint color with a hot dog roller. Full blog post has links to all of these products.
Once the paint is dry to the touch, remover the tape and watch your master piece unfold. It’s like the big reveal.
Isn’t it amazing how a little bit of paint and a little creativity can transform a room?? Now this bedroom is a teenager's retreat.

Want to see my next room transformation and get more painting tips? Sign up for my blog here!!

Be sure to click the link below to see more pictures and see my pink & white striped nursery. It's gorgeous!!
Cheryl Phan

• Marilyn Mckinney

Thank you for the tip about painting the tape to seal it to prevent bleeding. I've never been about to find tape that did not bleed. Was it hard to remove? Did you get any residue leftover?

• P

To burnish something one would go over it with an old cloth back and forth as if you were polishing it... it seals it tight normally.

Hope that helps...

• Crumly

You said to cover your pencil lines with the tape. If you do that then paint isn’t the pencil marks there then when you remove the tape? Wouldn’t you want to tape next to the pencil lines so you paint over them?

• Cheryl Phan

Tape just to the side of the pencil line so when you paint the wall it will cover. You can also use chalk instead of pencil, this way you can use a damp rag to remove it. I will be posting a blog show you how to do this soon. if you would like more tips you can sign up here. http://artzyfartzycreations.com/faux-finish-blog/

• Kelley

GREAT project and beautiful results. And where did you get that area rug? I love it!