Karen Merritt3
Karen Merritt3
  • Tutorial Team
  • Saint Joseph, MO

COPY CAT DESK

$34

When ever I see something in an antique shop I like but it is too expensive I take a photo of it. I then do a search for one similar to it in thrift shops, habitat stores or Craig's list. I love the challenge to make it as much alike as possible. I do like to put my own spin on it. Well I've had this picture of this desk on my phone for awhile. I really liked the color and style. I know $100 may not sound much to pay for a desk but I couldn't justify paying that much for it. Plus I love the thrill of the hunt to find one cheaper. And one I could rehab. I was looking the other day for some greenery to use for my lantern display. I was lucky to find the perfect greenery plus the almost exact twin to the desk I wanted. It was like in the movie Christmas Vacation when the light was shining down on the perfect tree. That is how I felt about this desk. It cost $33.98. Plus it had a thick piece of glass for the top. This was Tuesday and they were having a half price sale on Friday. I didnt want to take the chance of it not being there. I took out my tape measure. I always have it in my purse for just these occasions. I needed to make sure I had room in my bedroom for it. I hurried home to measure. Plus I had to do some rearranging of furniture. It would fit. Yea! It was too big to fit in my SUV so I had to wait for my husband to come home with his truck to pick it up. Well as luck would have it I had to wait until the next day to pick it up. All my husband could say was "where are you going to put that?". I just smiled and said "just wait and see". I'm so glad it was still there.
Here's my $100 inspirational piece.
Here's my $100 inspirational piece.
I was busy all Wednesday and Thursday was Thanksgiving. So I couldnt work on it until Friday. Bright and early Friday morning I was up and running like a mad women. I was bound and determined to get it painted in one day. I gave it a good scrubbing with mild soap and water.
Here's my $33.98 look a like desk.
Here's my $33.98 look a like desk.
I then took all of the drawer pulls off. I had my husband hunt down my electric hand sander in the shed. I sanded down all the fronts of the drawers and the rest of the desk.
All my drawers after sanding.
All my drawers after sanding.
I then took out my new Wagner paint sprayer. I didnt think I would get to use it until next Spring since it was the third week of November. It had been in the twentys days before. The high today was going to be 71. They have this saying here in Missouri " If you don't like the weather today wait until tomorrow because it will change". Oh so true. This was my one and only chance to paint. I was going for it. I LOVE my new paint sprayer! It went on smooth and dried fast. I didn't calculate just how much paint I would need to paint the desk. So of cours I ran out of my blue. I decided to add some almond colored paint I had in my paint stash. I sprayed the backside and underneath with the almond paint. When it dried I put the drawer pulls back on. I cant wait until my husband helps me get it into the bedroom.
copy cat desk
Here's my finished look a like desk. The only money I was out was the $33.98 for the desk.

Blue and almond colored Paint

• Bbunny42

I love this blue too. Funny thing, back in the spring when I was repurposing my dining room, I bought a wood-look credenza to put my sewing machine on. Later I was in the same consignment furniture store and they had an almost duplicate of this blue desk. Wish I had seen it before I saw the other one, but the one I have works really well for me so I'm happy.
  • Nicolette T

I love yours even better because of the ornated edge which gives it extra charm.