Dianna Wood
Dianna Wood
  • Burlington, NC

Winter Wonderland for $11

$11

Just hoping to inspire you with what you can achieve for $11 dollars at the Dollar store this year. If you want simple elegance for the Holidays this idea is for you! Three sizes of dollar tree snowflakes suspended from the ceiling with thread. That's it!
winter wonderland for 11
In a Nutshell: Using white or clear sewing thread, tie one end to a straight pin and the other end to the snowflake. Using a ladder, stick the straight pin into your ceiling. The difficulty level of poking in the pin will depend upon what type of ceiling you have, NOTE: Use differing lengths of thread for each snowflake to make it look more natural. See a few step-by=step instructions below and let me know if you have any questions. I am always happy to assist.
winter wonderland for 11
Using a straight pin and sewing thread, tie a loop at the end of the thread and place the top of the pin inside the loop. Pull the loop tight.
winter wonderland for 11
Tie the thread one more time to create a double knot so that the thread will not slip.
winter wonderland for 11
Trim off the access and you are ready to tie the other end of the thread to your snow flake. Yes this is time consuming, but well worth the time. I did 60 snowflakes and might actually add more. You are now ready to hang your snowflake. I would recommend using a thimble to poke the pin into the ceiling, you need only poke it in a short way for the pin to hold fast. I also recommend doing one snowflake at a time, so that they do not get tangled up on your work table.
winter wonderland for 11
The key to achieving a natural effect is to hang your snowflakes approximately 2 feet apart and at differing lengths. Make sure to hang some just a few inches from the ceiling and others use at least 12 inches of thread.
winter wonderland for 11
winter wonderland for 11
Take your time. It might be fun to have a friend or spouse assist you. One person can tie the thread and then hand it to the "hanger". I just may decide to leave the thread up in the Spring. I can cut the snowflakes off and tie butterflies on the ends. Then in the Fall hang lovely Fall leaves of differing colors and shapes. Oh Yes! I love that idea.
Dianna Wood

• Carla Anderson

Where do you purchase the snowflakes? Carla
  • Equ13024608

This is sooooo.......pretty., but putting those straight pins in my ceiling would make husband upset seeing tiny prick holes... would a small,teeny,tiny drop of hot glue gun work or would it take the paint off the ceiling when removing the snowflakes.?
    • Kat8629957

If you have a textured ceiling, try threading the thread through a fine sewing needle, then the snow flake, then knotting to form loop. The fine needles leave such a tiny hole (especially if put in at an angle) that he'll never see it. I've always used needles to hang temporary items... and I'm always amazed how little they show.
  • M7

Dianna, did you paint the artwork framed in the center of the last photo... hanging just to the right of the mirror with 'INSPIRE' above it? Has hills & flowers with split down center. Would like to see up close and if you did paint / make it do you have tutorial how you did it? Please feel free to email me, Marla at jesus-reigns@cox.net Thanks!
    • Dianna Wood

Hi Marla - No I did not paint it. What you are seeing is the reflection in a mirror of the Asian Screen that I used for closet doors on the other side of the living room.