Angie Forte
Angie Forte
  • Lascassas, TN

Faux Oxidation Technique

An easy paint technique to add faux oxidation to metal objects. Gives that aged, antique look to new metal.
faux oxidation technique, crafts, painting, repurposing upcycling
Give metal objects an oxidized look using just gray craft paint and water.
Thin the gray craft paint with lots of water. It may pool on the bottom edge but that's ok. The brushstroke lines will bleed together giving a softer look.
This is after one coat. I added another coat. Just remember to keep your brush really wet. The water is key to softening the lines and causing the color to pool in certain areas like it would from being exposed to the elements for years.
And here it is finished! See more pics on my blog, http://thealteredpast.blogspot.com
Angie Forte

• Judy H.

FINALLY!!! Exactly what I have been searching for!! I have a "lantern" exactly like this, but on a smaller scale. It is painted aqua with the corners and edges highlighted in gold. I didn't think regular craft paint would work on metal. Do you think I should use a color other than gray? I'm so happy to have found this!

• Judy H.

Thanks so much, Angie!! My lantern is painted a matte finish aqua, so I'm ready to give it a go. I appreciate your time and consideration!

1 comment