Decorate Like the Mall

$7

Have you ever walked through the mall during the holidays and seen all of the ornaments hanging from the railings, ceilings of the stores, and all around? They add such a holiday feeling and now you can have that at home.

After looking at the mall decorations I realized that this can't be that hard to do. My bigger concern was the cost. I love to decorate but I don't want to spend a fortune to do it.

I began gathering my pieces after the holidays were over....Things are at deep discounts. I was able to get 100 ornaments for $10.00. No I haven't hung 100 ornaments in my house....well not yet.

I noted that all of the mall ornaments were hung on beautiful velvet ribbon...Walmart, Amazon and Hobby Lobby carry velvet ribbon - all year round. So while shopping for velvet ribbon I also found glitter ribbon....I love everything that sparkles. So I bought a roll of each; velvet and glitter.

Now became the task of deciding what is the best way to get these put together. So tapping into my inner MacGyver I grabbed my glue gun, scissors, the ribbon some bulbs and paperclips.

I'm so happy with the results and it is fast, easy and very inexpensive. The results will leave you feeling very festive. And since the ornaments come in so many colors you can decorate in this fashion for a lot of holidays; Hanukkah, Easter (yes, they make great hanging Easter eggs, Mardi Gras..I'm sure there are others that I haven't thought of.
Please excuse my table top....Here is the only items I used for this project. Kids can do this too as long as you are there to supervise with the hot glue gun. (I do think one finger has no fingerprints left after getting my decorations done this year)
After determining where you are going to hang your decorations, start cutting your ribbon in the desired length. Mine were 2 feet and 3 feet strips. I picked up the 2" wide ribbon. You can use any thickness. I wanted a certain look....you'll see what I mean in the last photo.
For the end where you will hang the ornament, you will fold half of the ribbon into a point..It is about an inch worth of the ribbon that I folded over to make the point. I put some glue to hold that section.

I then added my paperclip. You will want to bend one part of the clip out so you can slide on your ornament.

I added more glue and then folded the other side into a point. I made sure to cover the paperclip with the ribbon.

Let it cool completely before handling. About 3 minutes.
This is what the point will look like. Remember this is the back side of the ribbon.
This is the finished project.... Once you slide the bulb onto the paperclip, you just need to bend it up toward the back side of the ribbon. You have a nice point and a great decoration.
So here is the finished project. To hang these, I used simple duct tape. You can use hot glue but be warned it can tear off your paint when you remove it.

Don't worry...if you can't find the right ribbon....fishing line works great too and then your bulbs look like they are just floating in air. I have those too. It's great for bathroom mirrors or to hang from lights.

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own

• P

the duct table will likely leave awful glue residue & may also pull off paint - grab some Goo Gone or WD-40 when you get ready to remove the duct tape!

• Necee Marie

Very festive!! Adds a nice touch to the garland !