A Christmas Kitchen Tree: The Perfect Recipe for Holiday Decor

$12

Adding a little holiday cheer to unexpected places is fun and helps to create a warm and welcoming home. Using a colander as it's base and vintage kitchen odds and ends, (measuring spoons and cookie cutters)...I created a fun kitchen tree...a perfect recipe for holiday magic for any kitchen.
a christmas kitchen tree the perfect recipe for holiday decor
We spend a lot of time in our kitchen...and that is especially true during the holidays.
I started with a red colander. I picked this one up new, from Walmart.
I placed a kitchen towel in the bottom. I planned to add wood shavings to cover the base and the towel helped to prevent the little wood bits from making a mess on the counter. The towel also filled some of the empty space and helped to secure the tree inside the colander. Other options include: cling wrap, or crumpled newspaper. --basically, plan to cover the holes in the bottom in some way to prevent the shavings from making a mess (if using)
Add a small faux tree.
Cover the tree base and fill the colander with wood shavings ( available in the dried naturals section of most craft stores) Or cover base of tree with a festive holiday dish towel. Begin placing small kitchen tools onto the tree. (biscuit cutters, teaspoons, measuring cups, holiday cookie cutters) Consider tying on cinnamon stick bundles, for a fragrant option.
I had a few mason jar ornaments that seem to go perfectly on this tree
Christmas in the Kitchen is complete!! Visit the blog: Blue Ribbon Kitchen for more award-winning recipes and holiday inspiration. Thanks so much for visiting Hometalk!!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 21, 2018 11:08 PM - More info
Karri @ Blue Ribbon Kitchen

• Susan Bechamp

Hmm... maybe I could do a workbench tree for hubby? Which tools could I repurpose without him blowing a gasket? Nuts and bolts - real and edible types - as garlands

• Billie Reece

What did you use to anchor the tree? Something that had to be heavy enough to balance it, right?

• Car28275795

Can the puny branches hold the glass mason jars which are kinda heavy? Also pots?

• Rita

I do a tree for my kitchen also and use antique items I have collected over the years- some were even my mother’s from a long time ago- cookie cutters, measuring cups, spoons,old metal canning funnel, just whatever looks old and my container to hold the tree is a large clay pot that was painted to use in the kitchen and it looks really good - when I go to sales I always lok for items! Thanks for showing yours! Wish I had taken a picture of mine before taking it down! Maybe next year

• Nancy Wilson

Great job. I did something similar to this when I had a large home. I put trees up in almost every room, decorated specifically for that room. My kitchen tree was decorated with cookie cutters and ribbons and a few edible cookies too. I think I even used measuring spoons. It was a fun tree to do.

• Betty Osborne

Like it! I collect teapots and has a small tree decorated with teapots that I leave up all year.

• Kim

Could you post a picture? I collect teapots, as well!