2 of 2 -- My DIYer Stash (Toolbox)

$0

Hi there!

I would have loved to know some things about tools and supplies when I started crafting and woodworking but I had close to no one to help me.

I thought I could share my secret tools and supplies with you fellows Hometalkers! Maybe you'd like to make a project, but you don't know what supplies or tool to use...?

These 2 posts are for you (check link below for 1/2 My DIYer Stash (Supplies)). My Xmas gift for you! :)
I did 3 boards of tools. This one contains the basic tools you should have. With those, you can make a lot of projects.

I made the choice to spend little money on power tools to be able to have more of them. Once I'll have all I want (almost there!), I'll start upgrading them.

Where you should spend more money, is on a good set of drill bits. Don't make the same mistake I made! You won't need 300 different bits (drill or screw), just a few ones. You better buy a 10 pieces set at $30 instead of a 100 pieces set for same price. If you try to save money on this, you'll end wasting more than you think!

Another thing where you can spend more, is a good multifonction screwdriver. If you pay more, you'll have good bits that you will be able to use on your electrical drill. Since you have all of those bits, dont buy a set of drill bits that includes those! See, you already saved a lot of money! :)

I really prefer the Quick grip clamps to the regular ones. Especially since I work alone most of the time. You can hold your pieces with one hand, and clamp with the other.
Now that your starter kit is bought, that you gained confidence, you are ready for bigger projects!

The miter saw : this is my favorite tool. It's quick & precise. The only problem I encounter with it, is the width of the blade... You are limited on the width of the cuts you can make with it. You'll find various sizes of blades, from 7 to 12 inches. The bigger, the pricier! I chose a 8" blade for mine and kept my money for a future table saw. Don't forget to take it with the laser, makes a huge difference!

The sander : again, there is a lot of choices! The first one I got, and it is still the one I use the most, is the one shown on the picture above. It's called a sheet sander.
The table saw... If you are like me, I was so excited when I came back home with it! I felt like was a grownup of the wood! Loll

Choosing your table saw could be tricky. I would recommend to buy something with a large table, to make sure you have room underneath for your Quick grip clamps. Your blade should be able to be lifted and lowered. It should also be able to cut in angles.

The electric planer. What an invention!! You can plane your wood with different depth in a blink of a eye! Careful though. It can be extremely messy! The one I chose can be connected to a Shop Vac. What a blessing! Hallelujah!

The router : Santa is bringing it to me for Xmas. I can't wait to try it! Will be adding a quick review after I played a bit with it.

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/33917824/1-2-my-diyer-stash-supplies

Love your tips. You have everything covered.

When I started my woodworking hobby over 50 years ago I basically had all hand tools. No power tools. Even my drill was a crank drill. You' be surprised what can be done with hand tools. As I got better at my craft and made some coin power tools were next in line. No battery tools available at the time. When I became a home builder all essential tools were purchase for the business and some for me. HVAC business brought in specialty tools. Then sold the business and got into remodeling. Did and still do all my own car repairs so got what I needed for that. Over the years I have amassed over $10,000 of tools. Still enjoy using hand tools for special projects. Nothing like feel of a project come together in your hands.
    • Clök Concept

Thank you so much William! I didn't see your name for a while on Hometalk so I was a bit worry about you. Glade you're back! Have a nice day! :) I agree! It is so nice to finish something made by ourselves!

• Wendy

I'm taking notes, Claudine! Thank you for sharing your DIY wisdom!