MyAlteredState
MyAlteredState
  • Provo, UT

Texture and Layering | Painting Technique

I needed to make a new door, look old. Really old. The only dilemma was the underlying "new" door surface. I couldn't simply paint and distress. The look had to be achieved mostly with paint.
texture and layering painting technique, painted furniture
My steps to achieve this are as follows....
First, I stained the door. I didn't want bright new wood peeking through the paint I was about to put on.
The older the paint, the better the effect. (I mix a lot of it myself, and add in plaster of paris to give it some texture.
(This pic speaks for itself)
Thick, chalky paint.
Flexible scraper works great to spread it.
Clumps for texture. (It dries really hard.)
Layering. Lots of it. I chose to go with just two colors of paint, adding different amounts of POP. (Plaster of Paris)
And still more layers...
In random places, I scraped nearly dry paint with a cabinet scraper, and spread it right back on. This gave even more texture.
When I reached the point where I was satisfied with the amount of texture (or, age) build up, I spray painted some areas black and applied some Elmer's and dollar store white glue.
Painting over the glue before it was totally dry is key to this crackle science. (Thanks to different drying times of the glue, and paint.)
This is the "after" of the back side of the door. I will be posting about my distressing and glaze application soon.
MyAlteredState

• Jewellmartin

Glad to see there is more than one recipe for POP chalk paint and other creations. Do you keep a diary or index of all these mixtures and projects? How long have you been a craft artist? 😇
  • Susan Duchesneau

I want to use the crackle affect on swine bottle light but I have no pint but I've got glue !! What do I d ??

• Charlee Hunter

Put your base color down first... slather on some white glue (thinner for tiny lines and thicker for more effect). Wait until it's a bit tacky, then put on your main color. Wait until it dries. The cracking effect happens as it dries.

• Taina Laraba

I'm so glad I found you. This is an incredible finish that I can do. Thank you.

• Charlee Hunter

This is lovely! I did not use pop in the paint for mine, but did try the glue effect (it was on one of my hometalk projects a while back), love the effect! and cheap!