Texture and Layering | Painting Technique

I needed to make a new door, look old. Really old. The only dilemma was the underlying "new" door surface. I couldn't simply paint and distress. The look had to be achieved mostly with paint.
My steps to achieve this are as follows....
First, I stained the door. I didn't want bright new wood peeking through the paint I was about to put on.
The older the paint, the better the effect. (I mix a lot of it myself, and add in plaster of paris to give it some texture.
(This pic speaks for itself)
Thick, chalky paint.
Flexible scraper works great to spread it.
Clumps for texture. (It dries really hard.)
Layering. Lots of it. I chose to go with just two colors of paint, adding different amounts of POP. (Plaster of Paris)
And still more layers...
In random places, I scraped nearly dry paint with a cabinet scraper, and spread it right back on. This gave even more texture.
When I reached the point where I was satisfied with the amount of texture (or, age) build up, I spray painted some areas black and applied some Elmer's and dollar store white glue.
Painting over the glue before it was totally dry is key to this crackle science. (Thanks to different drying times of the glue, and paint.)
This is the "after" of the back side of the door. I will be posting about my distressing and glaze application soon.

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
MyAlteredState

• Diana North

This is terrific! Do you think I could do this on a wall?

• Cathy Campen

Yes of course, just remember if you change your mind later on it will be a lot of work to remove it.

• User

Please what colors did you use? I really like this technique and I would like to use it, but I did not find any instructions in the Czech Republic. You will help me, thank you Alena

• User

Please, what colors did you use for the cracked decor door? I really like this technique and I would like to use it, but I did not find any instructions in the Czech Republic. You will help me, thank you Alena

• Charlee Hunter

This is lovely! I did not use pop in the paint for mine, but did try the glue effect (it was on one of my hometalk projects a while back), love the effect! and cheap!

• Jenny Chambers Mucha

This is amazing! I want to do this look on my Dining Room table, but I'm too chicken! :)