Emily
Emily
  • Tutorial Team
  • South Milwaukee, WI

Old Cabinet to Refurbished Stylish Cabinet

$22

I've been wanting to remodel our guest bathroom for a long time so when I saw an old oak bathroom cabinet at a rummage sale for $3, I knew I had to have it. I didn't exactly what I wanted to do to upgrade the bathroom but I had a color scheme in mind and I started with dark brown and some vintage-style designer paper.
old cabinet to refurbished stylish cabinet
I found this bathroom cabinet at a rummage for $3! It was in almost perfect condition and I couldn't pass up this deal.
I took it apart and started sanding everything.
I want a dark brown and blue color scheme in the new bathroom so I started by painting the cabinet dark brown.
I thought about stenciling a pattern onto the back board of the cabinet but I found this designer paper for $5 at a local department store and I fell in love with all of the designs.
For the door handles, I found these "crystals" at a dollar store and glued them a nuts/bolts set.
After the glue was dry, I spray painted them gold. When the gold paint was dry, I dipped just the "crystal" part into the dark brown paint. This is the finished look.
I picked three different designs from the designer paper and gave each self a different look.
I've never tried to make my own door handles and I've never used designer paper as a decorative background, but when I put it all together, the final result was beautiful and fun.
Here is the before and after. A plain, old, oak cabinet transformed into a stylish, new cabinet for our bathroom remodel!

• Behr paint  (home depot)
  • Designer Paper  (Wal-Mart)
  • Plastic "crystals"  (Dollar Tree)