DIY Clay Heart Trinket Dishes

$10

Are you looking for a perfect place to put your rings or favorite piece of jewelry?

I have been looking for a cute way to store some small items like my wedding ring and since it is close to Valentines Day I thought these Clay Heart Trinket Dishes were perfect for this purpose.

This is an easy project using oven baked clay and acrylic paints.

To get started here is what you need.
diy clay heart trinket dishes
I started out by pulling off  a large chunk of clay and rolled the clay in a ball.  Using a rolling pin roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
diy clay heart trinket dishes
Then I used the heart cookie cutters to cut out the clay.
diy clay heart trinket dishes
To smooth out the clay dip your finger in water and run it over any imperfections. If you miss some imperfections you can catch those with sandpaper after they are baked, however to save yourself time try to do it while the clay is still wet. 

Place the heart shapes in an oven safe bowl. The bowl gives the heart a concave shape to hold your items better vs being flat.

diy clay heart trinket dishes
Then I baked the clay per instructions on their website at 275 degrees for 15 minutes per 1/4 thickness.  When I removed the clay from the oven it felt somewhat rubbery, but once it cooled down it hardened.  

When the clay cooled and hardened I sanded it with 150 grit sandpaper. I removed the sanding dust and painted the dishes with different colored acrylic paints and stenciled some fun words.
diy clay heart trinket dishes
Finally I applied a triple thick glossy glaze that added a nice store bought look shine.
diy clay heart trinket dishes
diy clay heart trinket dishes
I thought they turned out super cute and I hope you enjoy making these just as much as I did.
diy clay heart trinket dishes
If you would like the a copy of the graphics please come visit me at my blog below.

If you are looking for some other ways to bring Valentines' Day into your home check out my FREE Valentines' Printables. Printables are such a cheap and easy way to decorate.

Looking for another easy craft? Check out these DIY Farmhouse Style Coasters.

Thank you so much for hanging out and learning how to make the Clay Heart Trinket Dishes.

Happy building.
Tiffany
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of July 30, 2018 11:42 PM - More info
Tiffany from Dream Design DIY

3 questions on this project
  • Molly Chris Mathis
    Feb 14, 2018

Will they hold together as a coaster if left flat and not sealed? I'm thinking condensation.

• L
    Feb 12, 2018

So for little kids to paint them
    washable sharpies or just kids paint and tell the recipient not to wash? Any ideas?
    hiw many does a package make?
    i know it depends on the size of the cookie cutter but a round about idea

• Hi L,
      I would think that a sharpie or kids paint would work. I am thinking kids paint would work better. From the size of clay block I got you could probably make a 2-3 more maybe one more large or two small or two large and one small. Amazon is the best place to buy the clay. Local craft stores are more expensive. Thanks for your question.

• Debby Brake
    Jan 24, 2018

I love this idea! Are they light weight enough where magnets can be glued on the back to possibly hang them like from the fridge?