Hometalk Highlights
Hometalk Highlights
  • Hometalk Team
  • New York, NY

Do This to Your Outlet to Save so Much Money This Month

$10

Now that you’ve insulated your windows, we’ve got one more awesome insulation tip for you to keep you warm for the rest of what feels like a never-ending winter!

Becky at Flipping the Flip shared this tutorial on how to insulate your outlet covers. It’s surprising how insulating these covers can make a huge impact on your heating bills!

Get your socket sealers here and follow this simple tutorial.
material of the week outlet sealers
Outlet Insulation
**Before you begin any work with outlets, make sure you shut the power to the outlets and switches you’ll be insulating.

1. Unscrew and remove your switch plates/outlet covers.
material of the week outlet sealers
2. Choose the insulation cover for the outlet you’re covering. Pop out the corresponding rectangle.
material of the week outlet sealers
3. Pop on the insulator, to cover the outlet.
4. Re-attach the switch plate.
You're done!
material of the week outlet sealers
For double outlets or switches, fit the insulator over the switch…
material of the week outlet sealers
… and cut to size so both insulators can fit side by side. Re-attach the switch plate.

That’s it! Your newly insulated outlets and switches with not only cut out drafts, but will save you money. Happy insulating!

material of the week outlet sealers
Get your socket sealers here & start saving!
Hometalk Highlights

• Sharyn Curry-Ludlow

I want to eliminate a side by side switch and just place a blank cover on one side - One
    of the plates needs to be cut
    to size to fit. My question is:
    what would you suggest I use
    to cut the plate? To narrow it.
    • Ellis

I've used the customer covers from Home Depot. Handy!

• Jacquelyne May

Why not just recycle some foam/styrofoam and cut it to the right shape then fit it in?

Is this more of an ad for a product?

• Ellis

Many styrofoam and foam products are highly flammable. Not something you want to put near electric wires!

The packs of insulators are very cheap, ready to use perfect size, and they do make a real difference.

• Tonya Higuera

Will this also help keep the A/C inside during the summer months?

• Peggy Burnette

I did this about 2 weeks ago and it really made our home warmer. Thanks for sharing.

• Peggy Burnette

I did all the outside wall outlets, you can feel around the outlet on an inside wall and see if you feel any cool air.