Growing Rainbow Carrots From Seed to Harvest In Raised Planters

13K Views
I love to grow carrots and this year I planted rainbow carrots. I have raised beds in my backyard garden and I put the seeds in the ground in Oct. I live in Texas so we can grow freeze hardy veggies thru the winter but they will take longer to grow until it gets warmer.
Time: 5 MonthsCost: $3Difficulty: Easy
  • growing rainbow carrots from seed to harvest in raised planters
Start with good quality carrot seeds. I love the rainbow ones since they are such a fun set of colors and taste amazing!
All the info you need to plant your carrots, best time to plant, length of growth, sun, etc is on the package, but I do find it can vary a ton depending on water, sun, temperature, etc.
I stared with a weeded bed that has a good amount of soil depth to allow the carrot to grow down. If the soil depth is too shallow you will not get very good carrots.
Make rows in the dirt about 2 inches apart and sprinkle the seeds in each trench, then cover and water.
It takes a bit of time to get these plants to grow, but give them time, it is worth it. Go back into the beds and clean out the weeds to give the carrots the best nutrients.
I went in and thinned out the carrots when they got a bit bigger to give each one more room to grow. These are some of the baby carrots I pulled out when thinning, but they are big enough to eat!!
Here is a video on each step of the planting process from seed to harvest.
This is my first pull of carrots at harvest time, there are still more in the ground and I will continue to harvest for the next couple weeks until they are all nice and big!

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of June 26, 2018 11:29 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Erin Reed