No-Streak Homemade Glass Cleaner (with a Secret Ingredient!)

$1

This homemade glass cleaner has a unique ingredient for no-streak window cleaning.

Who knew that cornstarch was the answer to beautiful windows and mirrors (not vinegar or wiping with newspapers)?!?
Ingredients for Homemade Glass Cleaner
Gather together simple ingredients. You might already have these at home right now! Cornstarch from the pantry, plus rubbing alcohol, and some essential oils.
Add rubbing alcohol to hot water.
Then add the secret ingredient - cornstarch. This works because of a scientific term called hydrogen bonding.

Glass is not actually smooth. It has pits in it which collect water. When you spray a cleaner on top of the glass, the water in the pits attaches to the water in the spray and causes streaking because of a molecular structure.

Cornstarch stops that process from happening, resulting in streak-free shine!
Stir together. The mixture will be cloudy.
Add essential oils. In our recipe, we used orange essential oil and lemon.

Orange essential oil is known to cut through dirt and grease with ease. So that's why we used it in our no-streak glass cleaner.

Lemon essential oil also is thought to have anti-bacterial properties. So it's a great addition to this spray.

Both make a homemade cleaner that smells fresh and citrusy. But customize however you'd like.
Mix the liquid together with the essential oils, then pour into a spray bottle.
You can keep the no-streak glass cleaner in the bottle for a while. No need to use it up immediately on the day of making it.

However, you do want to be sure to shake up the container before using it each time. That way the cornstarch will distribute throughout the liquid. It also won't clog the spray nozzle if the cornstarch is mixed in the water and alcohol spray.

Kimberly Button

• Anne Byrd Free

Search her blog for glass cleaner and read the whole article. There are some conditions to make this work correctly.

• Jo Ellen

I use Norwex Envirocloths to clean my windows and glass surfaces, and the Glass cloth to perfect it. No chemicals! No streaks. No lint. No household ingredients I can use for other things! NOTHING cleans a window like a Norwex window cloth.

However, I love this recipe instead of buying expensive cleaners – let’s face it if you use Windex a lot it’s not cheap Dash and I love that it’s lacking harsh chemicals. My mother had lung cancer twice and it was hard to talk her out of all the household products she had used all of her life like pledge, Clorox, 409. She didn’t need to be near any of that. And that’s how I found Norwex, but I’m aware it’s not cheap either .