Lisa Marie
Lisa Marie
  • Manahawkin, NJ

Somewhere Over Our Rainbow

$100
Advanced

Hi! I was doing customs for a quite a while and wanted to take a break to do my own thing and this is how it turned out.. I was obviously DYING for color! I had watched a few tutorials by The Turquoise Iris so I was inspired by her to complete this piece in this way... so thank you Dionne.
somewhere over our rainbow
somewhere over our rainbow
the piece! It had some gashes in the veneer in some spots, scratches, etc so I knew I wanted to paint her. I know, everyone has their own opinion but painted pieces sell for me so that's what I did.

somewhere over our rainbow
Sorry for the horrible pictures, It's even any wonder how I stop and remember to take them when knee deep into a project! I applied a base coat of Inglenook, by Fusion paint on the piece and waited for that to dry. I knew that I wanted to highlight this piece so I applied another coat of that to the centers of the drawers and sides. I then applied a coat of Sapphire by Wise Owl and a coat of Provence by Annie sloan along the perimeter of the drawers and sides.... and I blended with a dry brush.
somewhere over our rainbow
I kept some of the inglenook available so I can use that to blend as well with the other colors.
somewhere over our rainbow
here is a pic of the sides after blending... I let that dry and came back the next day.
somewhere over our rainbow
Next, I took some of Wise Owl Paints Goldenrod on my palette knife and scraped down.... then I did same with the colors of the unicorn spit. I then sprayed with a water bottle and let it drip!
somewhere over our rainbow
the legs... I didn't spray here I just applied the colors with a brush... and the palette knife.
somewhere over our rainbow
one of the drawer fronts... when I first applied my palette knife I pressed way too hard and took some of the paint off but that was ok, I was digging it... but I learned I had to be quite easy on the hand and pressure with the knife.
she is coming together here...
somewhere over our rainbow
ok, stepped back, not looking too shabby... I know Im missing a lot of steps but I basically did same thing as sides on the drawer fronts... swiped paint/unicorn spit from left to right or right to left... and dabbed some color here and there... for the drawer fronts, I did blend the colors on the edges with a dry brush.. the sprayed. I did each drawer separately and kept the drawers in bc of the style I needed to achieve. I distressed in some spots as well...
somewhere over our rainbow
Next I found some gorgeous paper at TJ MAxx and applied that to the drawers sides using Wise Owl Matte Varnish. WOW. this stuff works amazing for that! I cut the paper slightly larger than the surface and Waited for the varnish to dry completely... then I ran over the edges with a sanding block to remove the overhang.
lined the drawers too! these I measured and then trimmed with a razor!
somewhere over our rainbow
I painted the top same as drawer fronts except I didn't add the additional colors. For me, the piece was "busy" enough, the top needed to have some sort of solidity to it... so I blended, like the ocean! lol I sealed the top in the Wise owl matte varnish and the body in Wise Owl Wax.
somewhere over our rainbow
Detail shot
somewhere over our rainbow
somewhere over our rainbow
somewhere over our rainbow
Finished Product.. my "Somewhere Over Our Rainbow:

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/TFRLisa/