Somewhere Over Our Rainbow

$100
Advanced

Hi! I was doing customs for a quite a while and wanted to take a break to do my own thing and this is how it turned out.. I was obviously DYING for color! I had watched a few tutorials by The Turquoise Iris so I was inspired by her to complete this piece in this way... so thank you Dionne.
the piece! It had some gashes in the veneer in some spots, scratches, etc so I knew I wanted to paint her. I know, everyone has their own opinion but painted pieces sell for me so that's what I did.

Sorry for the horrible pictures, It's even any wonder how I stop and remember to take them when knee deep into a project! I applied a base coat of Inglenook, by Fusion paint on the piece and waited for that to dry. I knew that I wanted to highlight this piece so I applied another coat of that to the centers of the drawers and sides. I then applied a coat of Sapphire by Wise Owl and a coat of Provence by Annie sloan along the perimeter of the drawers and sides.... and I blended with a dry brush.
I kept some of the inglenook available so I can use that to blend as well with the other colors.
here is a pic of the sides after blending... I let that dry and came back the next day.
Next, I took some of Wise Owl Paints Goldenrod on my palette knife and scraped down.... then I did same with the colors of the unicorn spit. I then sprayed with a water bottle and let it drip!
the legs... I didn't spray here I just applied the colors with a brush... and the palette knife.
one of the drawer fronts... when I first applied my palette knife I pressed way too hard and took some of the paint off but that was ok, I was digging it... but I learned I had to be quite easy on the hand and pressure with the knife.
she is coming together here...
ok, stepped back, not looking too shabby... I know Im missing a lot of steps but I basically did same thing as sides on the drawer fronts... swiped paint/unicorn spit from left to right or right to left... and dabbed some color here and there... for the drawer fronts, I did blend the colors on the edges with a dry brush.. the sprayed. I did each drawer separately and kept the drawers in bc of the style I needed to achieve. I distressed in some spots as well...
Next I found some gorgeous paper at TJ MAxx and applied that to the drawers sides using Wise Owl Matte Varnish. WOW. this stuff works amazing for that! I cut the paper slightly larger than the surface and Waited for the varnish to dry completely... then I ran over the edges with a sanding block to remove the overhang.
lined the drawers too! these I measured and then trimmed with a razor!
I painted the top same as drawer fronts except I didn't add the additional colors. For me, the piece was "busy" enough, the top needed to have some sort of solidity to it... so I blended, like the ocean! lol I sealed the top in the Wise owl matte varnish and the body in Wise Owl Wax.
Detail shot
Finished Product.. my "Somewhere Over Our Rainbow:

15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/TFRLisa/

• Debra S

Be still my beating heart!!! LOVE LOVE IT. Can you come to my house and help me re-do a lovely cabinet?????

• Jenny Chambers Mucha

Absolutely amazing!

• Jai

I am trying to replicate this style but cannot get my colors to blend like yours or get the paint to drip like you did. I even bought a bunch of Unicorn Spit but my cabinet didn’t turn out the way yours did. Can you give me some tips?

• Kelie

I have a really old red dresser that I just may be brave enough to attempt this with. It wouldn’t break my heart if it didn’t turn out because well put that puppy right back in the closet if it doesn’t , and if it DOES turn out the way yours does the. I’ll showcase it in a bedroom 💞

• Barbara Connor

Amazing results! Well done. Would love to try this. Can you tell me which Unicorn color paints you used. thanks so much