Somewhere Over Our Rainbow

$100
Advanced

Hi! I was doing customs for a quite a while and wanted to take a break to do my own thing and this is how it turned out.. I was obviously DYING for color! I had watched a few tutorials by The Turquoise Iris so I was inspired by her to complete this piece in this way... so thank you Dionne.
the piece! It had some gashes in the veneer in some spots, scratches, etc so I knew I wanted to paint her. I know, everyone has their own opinion but painted pieces sell for me so that's what I did.

Sorry for the horrible pictures, It's even any wonder how I stop and remember to take them when knee deep into a project! I applied a base coat of Inglenook, by Fusion paint on the piece and waited for that to dry. I knew that I wanted to highlight this piece so I applied another coat of that to the centers of the drawers and sides. I then applied a coat of Sapphire by Wise Owl and a coat of Provence by Annie sloan along the perimeter of the drawers and sides.... and I blended with a dry brush.
I kept some of the inglenook available so I can use that to blend as well with the other colors.
here is a pic of the sides after blending... I let that dry and came back the next day.
Next, I took some of Wise Owl Paints Goldenrod on my palette knife and scraped down.... then I did same with the colors of the unicorn spit. I then sprayed with a water bottle and let it drip!
the legs... I didn't spray here I just applied the colors with a brush... and the palette knife.
one of the drawer fronts... when I first applied my palette knife I pressed way too hard and took some of the paint off but that was ok, I was digging it... but I learned I had to be quite easy on the hand and pressure with the knife.
she is coming together here...
ok, stepped back, not looking too shabby... I know Im missing a lot of steps but I basically did same thing as sides on the drawer fronts... swiped paint/unicorn spit from left to right or right to left... and dabbed some color here and there... for the drawer fronts, I did blend the colors on the edges with a dry brush.. the sprayed. I did each drawer separately and kept the drawers in bc of the style I needed to achieve. I distressed in some spots as well...
Next I found some gorgeous paper at TJ MAxx and applied that to the drawers sides using Wise Owl Matte Varnish. WOW. this stuff works amazing for that! I cut the paper slightly larger than the surface and Waited for the varnish to dry completely... then I ran over the edges with a sanding block to remove the overhang.
lined the drawers too! these I measured and then trimmed with a razor!
I painted the top same as drawer fronts except I didn't add the additional colors. For me, the piece was "busy" enough, the top needed to have some sort of solidity to it... so I blended, like the ocean! lol I sealed the top in the Wise owl matte varnish and the body in Wise Owl Wax.
Detail shot
Finished Product.. my "Somewhere Over Our Rainbow:

25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/TFRLisa/

• Debra S
    Debra S

Be still my beating heart!!! LOVE LOVE IT. Can you come to my house and help me re-do a lovely cabinet?????

• Jenny Chambers Mucha
    Jenny Chambers Mucha

Absolutely amazing!

• Jai
    Jai

I am trying to replicate this style but cannot get my colors to blend like yours or get the paint to drip like you did. I even bought a bunch of Unicorn Spit but my cabinet didn’t turn out the way yours did. Can you give me some tips?

• Cheryl Bowlin-Atkinson
    Cheryl Bowlin-Atkinson

Dionne would be proud

• Faye Edwards
    Faye Edwards

Call me silly I love the real wood. Clean it up and oil it. In 5 yrs you will be stripping it and saying oh gee paint ruins the wood LOL

• Kel49924601
      Kel49924601

I always wondered why people always freak out when pieces are painted because i always thought later if u dont like it and sand it away your saying it ruins the wood? So if you refinish with stain it doesn't ruin the wood? If thats true than i understand why you wouldn't want to ruin a true antique. But this piece had cracks in veneer as she stated already it,s not solid wood. Even so not everyone wants everything in their home all brown wood stains. I like some pieces painted and so.e wood. I appreciate her creativity and frankly probably would not have glanced twice at this piece

except after it was painted. I also noticed e that the pieces in my home that I havent painted bc i feel like I can't dont bring me as much joy as the pieces I have painted and always get compliments.