Mostly Pallet Wood Farmhouse Table With Gutter Succulent Planter

We're "at it" again with the pallet wood! We needed a nice place for my family to dine when they came for a visit, so we built a fun table. Hope you enjoy our tutorial and find some time to "al fresco" dine in your near future! Check out our website for full details. Erin @ Upcycled Ugly
The finished product!
We first cut the legs from pallet supports- we chose 30".
We screwed on leg supports from wide pallet slats. We chose 38".
We screwed on a horizontal board support (which we bought) in the length of 84". This was a 1x6.
We added side slats for top support and a place to nail the top boards in. These were also 84". These were 2x6 boards from the box store.
We screwed 41" end supports into the 84" side supports.
We added a block support for our gutter support boards to screw into.
We used 1x3 boards to create a length-wise support. We are going to have to replace these with thicker boards or add more support boards soon because the table is slightly dipping in the middle.
We cut the gutter to our desired size (5'), drilled drainage holes, and caulked end caps on.
We cut the slats to size (leaving a gap in the center for the gutter to sit in) and nailed them to the side supports and the center gutter supports. We sanded and polyurethaned the top slats and we painted the legs in a black.
Here she is with a table set for 2!
Succulents and Angelina Sedum up close! Not into succulents? You could also chill your favorite beverages here!
No "al fresco" dining experience is complete without fun lights.
Curious how the family dinner went? It was perfect! Here it is with a table set for 6 (random chairs included)!

Erin@UpcycledUgly

• Ruth

Oh my gosh I love this! How much did it cost to make?
    • Anthony

Wouldn't it been less involved if you just set up the cutter and put it at the center of the table? It could be mobile enough for you to move it at your pleasure. Very nice, anyway.

• Tamara N Rick

My husband cut me window boxes from gutters this year. Their awesome and filled with succulents. When cold weather rolls around I can remove from window and place in basement.

• Dianehmorgan

I love this idea but honestly it would bother me that the gutter does not set down in the space completely, it leans. Ideas on how to correct this??

• Karen Loske

It would me too but eventually the plants would cover the edge. If it really was an issue I'm pretty sure you could mess around with your measurements (under tabletop gutter support) to get a more level setting. And if you were really anal like me you could use some sort of molding to make a frame around the gutter, resting on the tabletop. Just a thought. I'm pretty sure the aim was extra seating on a budget, and this fills the bill. I saw one similar once made out of huge timbers with a copper planter, um hm, not in my budget. Very clever, I love it.

• Clayton

The leaning would bother me too. I wonder if it would have been cost effective to use long (plastic?) flower boxes instead of the gutter? The lip of the flower boxes would sit on the edge of the opening very neatly. I'm too impatient to wait for the plants to fill in. Haha.

• Redrabbit

Agree with the above comments. You could just get some support under the gutter and keep it from falling thru. The flower box idea from Clayton was good - also support it from underneath. That is probably the main reason the gutter sits as it does.

• Susan P

I think this is awesome, just the way it Is! This was done with VERY LITTLE to no cost, so it turned out wonderful. Im going to do this, on the cheap!

• Peter

great idea and looks great, but my worries would be wasps making nests under the table top! How could you deter that?

• Karen Loske

Wasp spray? I dunno, why would this be different than any other table? Just curious, is there a reason wasps would be attracted to this particular build?

• Exine Combs

Try stapling landscape underneath, will not hold water. Just a thought.

• Ellen Brown

how do you keep them from the eves of your home? same.

• Sahirah Fox

Is there an additional support long board for the gutter to be supported? What is used for support of the remaining table top after the 5’ long gutter slot is cut out?

• Mark laderer

What did it cost,when you were comepleatly finished with your table?