Refresh a Deck With Deckover Paint

$350

Our tired deck was in desperate need of some TLC, but we weren't ready to pull the trigger on a brand new deck or patio installation. Instead, we used Deckover paint to give our deck new life. After a year, the paint job still looks great. We are so thankful that this painting project bought us a few more years until we need to do a major deck project. Read all the ways we saved money on this project on the blog: deckover paint project.
Here's how our deck looked before this project. The previous coat of deckover paint was starting to look tired and worn. There were also spots where the board were pretty tired looking.
Like this spot here! Yikes! I'm not sure what looks worse: the deck boards or my nail polish! You can also see a lot of pebble rocks in between the deck boards, which we meticulously scraped out before we could paint. We also washed the deck with a regular hose and deck cleaning solution before painting. We did not take the time to sand before applying our new Deckover paint.
Applying the Deckover paint was a lot like spreading peanut butter. The paint is thick and covers well. It took about 25 hours total to repaint the whole deck and railings, and recover a few cushions for our patio furniture.
Look at the difference! We are really happy with the results. We also love our new chair cushions, which blend nicely with the new deck paint color. If you love this project, pin it to your DIY board to come back to later.

Molly - My Sweet Lilac

• Ada Saucedo

I was wondering why you didn’t sand first?

• Kim Mathews

Good question! Whether you stain , use porch and floor paint or deck over ,cleaning and sanding and hammering in any nails or tightening screws , is a must! It's a lot work ,but the stain or paint will last much longer!

• Ron Chron

I used deck over , preparation was, power wash,, let dry for one week in full sun . It has never stopped pealing off in sheets. We hand picked last year and now there is more.

• Elizabeth

We had the same experience. It actually made our deck worse than it was before we put this awful product on it.

• Sis

How long does it take for the paint to dry?

• Donna Racer

I used Behr paint and I have had NO problems. But I didn't spread it heavy, I put two light coats...maybe that's the key.

• DW

It is hard to find this product anymore because there are class action lawsuits against Behr because it did not last and customers were very upset that after spending lots of money on the product, and time and energy to clean and prep according to manufacture instructions, it lasted less than a year! We did our research and ended up using the Behr Premium Solid Color Waterproofing Exterior Wood Stain & Sealer, which after a year is holding up very well. Claims to last for 10 years, which to me means it will last about 5, hopefully.