Refresh a Deck With Deckover Paint

$350

Our tired deck was in desperate need of some TLC, but we weren't ready to pull the trigger on a brand new deck or patio installation. Instead, we used Deckover paint to give our deck new life. After a year, the paint job still looks great. We are so thankful that this painting project bought us a few more years until we need to do a major deck project. Read all the ways we saved money on this project on the
refresh a deck with deckover paint
Here's how our deck looked before this project. The previous coat of deckover paint was starting to look tired and worn. There were also spots where the board were pretty tired looking.
refresh a deck with deckover paint
Like this spot here! Yikes! I'm not sure what looks worse: the deck boards or my nail polish! You can also see a lot of pebble rocks in between the deck boards, which we meticulously scraped out before we could paint. We also washed the deck with a regular hose and deck cleaning solution before painting. We did not take the time to sand before applying our new Deckover paint.
refresh a deck with deckover paint
Applying the Deckover paint was a lot like spreading peanut butter. The paint is thick and covers well. It took about 25 hours total to repaint the whole deck and railings, and recover a few cushions for our patio furniture.
refresh a deck with deckover paint
Look at the difference! We are really happy with the results. We also love our new chair cushions, which blend nicely with the new deck paint color. If you love this project, pin it to your DIY board to come back to later.
Molly - My Sweet Lilac

• Gran

How long ago was the previous deck over paint put on?? Curious how long it lasts compared to other products.

• C oakes

It lasted not quite a year, and it was very expensive.

• Vivian Pettiford

My deck is two years old never was painted can I still use deck over

• Faye

i would pressure wash and stain the wood has cute by now.

• Ada Saucedo

I was wondering why you didn’t sand first?

• Kim Mathews

Good question! Whether you stain , use porch and floor paint or deck over ,cleaning and sanding and hammering in any nails or tightening screws , is a must! It's a lot work ,but the stain or paint will last much longer!

• Itsmemic

I agree. Sometimes a facelift is all you need to buy time. I have never been sorry with these type projects. Looks great !!

• Janet

We did the same 3 years ago and it is still in good shape. I also power washed it and it's still fine. I was so happy it worked as we weren't able to replace it either. We also used the product (I believe it was from Rustoleum) that is similar, for cement that we used on out patio 5 years ago and it's just now showing some signs of wear in spots. It is thick enough to cover most small cracks and imperfections in the cement. Very happy with both products. Plus they come in a load of colors to suit most any home.