Make Your Own Closet Shelves & Organizer!

$126
1 Day

My poor closet was a MESS, and way too small for two people. My husband, with minimal tools, designed and built in shelving and cubby holes. It more than doubled our space... for less than $130!
This is the BEFORE photo. When we moved in there wasn't even a shelf and rod. It's just not big enough for two adults! My husband used the free software Google Sketchup to design the closet shelves. DOWNLOAD OUR SKETCHUP DESIGN FILE HERE or on our actual site post link at the bottom.
He purchased the materials needed then tore back the carpet in the closet so he could start the base.  The base was made by creating a simple framework with 1″x2″ lumber.  This is not glued to the floor, but it is important that it reaches the full width of the closet to the walls.
A common jigsaw was used to begin cutting the MDF to the shelf dimensions.
Careful measurements were made to put pencil lines in the exact positions where the upright boards would be placed.
Glue was not used to attach the shelves.  Just properly lengthed screws. The first 1″x 2″ boards were screwed into place in the wall to allow for proper placement of the first upright.
Notice the angled cuts of the uprights at the bottom of the shelving unit.  This was to allow the uprights to be deep enough to hold clothes, yet taper in to meet the base at the bottom.
Closet dowels were attached into their holders.
Cubby shelves were added on each side then it was painted. This gave us more than double the space!

Nancy at Craft Your Happiness

• Emily

It looks nice and clean and good carpentry work, but it does not show how the closet is actually utilized. Can you show a pic of the closet with the contents, like you did with the original closet?

• I'm assuming you saw my latest post on here. I mean't to reply as soon as I put it up but it slipped my mind! My site post has all the photos and info. I can only put a few pics here. Ü

• Swinnen Lisette

How did you hold up the shelves, what did you put under the shelves? I started to built my own wardrobe but I don't really know how to do this as elegant as yours

• Debi

If you look at the pictures, you will see that he ran some small board around the sides and back. The shelf rests on those.

• Carol

Oh ! Do I have a question ! Can you come and do this to my closets????? Amazing transformation.....well done !!

• Gloria Symons

Good job!

• Ellen Bertelsen

I like this very much but would have used real wood vs MDF for the shelves. I’ve found that over time, MDF begins to sag. For long term use, consider putting more braces under the shelves.