Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness
  • Hot Springs National Park, AR

Make Your Own Closet Shelves & Organizer!

$126
1 Day

My poor closet was a MESS, and way too small for two people. My husband, with minimal tools, designed and built in shelving and cubby holes. It more than doubled our space... for less than $130!
make your own closet shelves organizer
This is the BEFORE photo. When we moved in there wasn't even a shelf and rod. It's just not big enough for two adults! My husband used the free software Google Sketchup to design the closet shelves. DOWNLOAD OUR SKETCHUP DESIGN FILE HERE or on our actual site post link at the bottom.
make your own closet shelves organizer
He purchased the materials needed then tore back the carpet in the closet so he could start the base.  The base was made by creating a simple framework with 1″x2″ lumber.  This is not glued to the floor, but it is important that it reaches the full width of the closet to the walls.
make your own closet shelves organizer
A common jigsaw was used to begin cutting the MDF to the shelf dimensions.
make your own closet shelves organizer
Careful measurements were made to put pencil lines in the exact positions where the upright boards would be placed.
make your own closet shelves organizer
Glue was not used to attach the shelves.  Just properly lengthed screws. The first 1″x 2″ boards were screwed into place in the wall to allow for proper placement of the first upright.
make your own closet shelves organizer
Notice the angled cuts of the uprights at the bottom of the shelving unit.  This was to allow the uprights to be deep enough to hold clothes, yet taper in to meet the base at the bottom.
make your own closet shelves organizer
Closet dowels were attached into their holders.
make your own closet shelves organizer
Cubby shelves were added on each side then it was painted. This gave us more than double the space!
make your own closet shelves organizer
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness

• Emily

It looks nice and clean and good carpentry work, but it does not show how the closet is actually utilized. Can you show a pic of the closet with the contents, like you did with the original closet?

• I'm assuming you saw my latest post on here. I mean't to reply as soon as I put it up but it slipped my mind! My site post has all the photos and info. I can only put a few pics here. Ü

• Swinnen Lisette

How did you hold up the shelves, what did you put under the shelves? I started to built my own wardrobe but I don't really know how to do this as elegant as yours

• Ann Cassler

Great job! I did something similar years ago. My closet in my bedroom turned hobby /sewing room needed more shelves and less hanging space so I used one upright, had shelves on one side the full depth of the closet and hanging rods on the other half. The one thing I learned the hard way is to paint all the wood BEFORE you install it. After installation an artist paint brush can touch up any nail holes or marks created during placement. I've used that method ever since for all my projects. Love you design and layout. You will smile every time you open that door!

• Happy Days Hometalker

Wonderful job and I loved the price tag ! Enjoy.