Upcycled Hand Cart Coffee Table Version II

$10

Today I have one more hand truck, hand cart, dolly (whatever you want to call it) upcycle for you. I love upcycling flea market finds into coffee tables and this is my second dolly to coffee table transformation.
upcycled hand cart coffee table version ii
Funny, I’m looking at this picture and I’m realizing that all of these beautiful goodies were courtesy of other people looking out for me.  The window is from my daughter in law’s , stepfather,  the pallet wood is from my brother in law, the long pieces I’m using to build the box were from my son’s backyard when he finished a remodel, and the star of the show, the hand cart, is a flea market find my sister picked up several years ago.

OK, my sister wasn’t looking out for me, she intended to do something with the hand cart herself three years ago and never got around to it.  So when I asked if she would like me to transform it, I barely had the question out before her husband was saying yes, yes, please, take it.  That may not be an exact quote, but it’s pretty close.
Using 2×8’s cut a box surround for your window leaving an extra 1/4″ wiggle room for the window to open and close.

Assemble your box using long wood screws (3 inches or longer).  I used 4 screws per corner.  
At the base of the box attach a piece of pallet wood, or other scrap wood,  on both ends.  Nail from the outside with finish nails.  I’m using a nail gun, it makes this part of the job so easy.

With the window inside, turn the box over onto a flat surface.  

On both long sides of the box, place 1×2’s, cut to fit up against the window and nail in place.  This will be the ledge on which the window sits when it’s turned right side up.

Cut pallet wood to fit the bottom of the box, but don’t attach just yet.
Use a level to straighten out the hand cart and measure how long your legs should be.

My legs are from an old 2×4, notched to give them a little interest. 

Sand the legs well then attach with long screws from the top of the cart.
Most of the dirt on the cart I cleaned up with a wire brush, including the rust on the wheels before painting with red chalk paint.
My wood box was a little too new so it’s getting the meat tenderizer, hammer, screwdriver, instant age treatment.

Time to paint.  This is just a single coat of dark gray chalk paint.

I also sanded down the cut handles of the hand cart.  They will also need a little gray/brown stain to match the rest of the cart.

Sand off any edges you’d like exposed and finish with vintage wax.
Where the arrows are pointing is where I screwed the new top to the hand cart.
Before installing the pallet wood bottom, sand each piece thoroughly then  nail, screw or glue ( the choice is yours) those pieces to the scrap wood ends you installed earlier.

The pallet wood interior was given 2 coats of clear wax.
To my junk pile to find hinges and a handle.
You can find my first hand cart coffee table here. It's constructed a little bit differently but I love them both.

If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them. You can also find lots more step by step pictures on my blog and details on how I fixed some rotten wood on this project.

The total cost for this project for me was $10 for wax and paint but your costs will vary depending on how generous your friends and family are. :)

For a gallery of all my coffee table and side table transformations , you can find them here.

ScavengerChic

• Sam21544278

what to do with old wood ladders

• ScavengerChic

Just type in "ladder' in Hometalk's Find you next project and you'll come up with tons of ideas.

• Barb

Did you replace the window glass with something sturdier? I would be afraid it would shatter if someone dropped something on it. Window glass is very sharp

• Lisa West

If you decide to make a table like this. Ro feel safe you can always get a nice peice of plexy glass. It will clear and not take away from the peice.

• Lisa West

This Peice turned out beautifully. I for one if I decide to ever build a table like this, I would put a peice of plexiglass on top. It wont take away from the vintage look. I really like this table. Thank you for sharing. Dont uou just love using odds and end to make something beautiful. And you saves our eco system from junk. You should be very proud of your self. Once again love this peice.

• Rebecca

Absolutely beautiful...love it