Repurposed Door Corner Shelf

$25
1 Week

I wanted a corner shelf in my condo. My daughter had several doors from her 130 y/o home.

Here were the basic steps:

1. I cut one door in half, lengthwise and used corner brackets to attach the 2 halves to make a right angle.
  2. I used caulk in the corner to seal the gaps due to the panels.
  3. I purchased 2 corner shelves at Lowes.
  4. I built a shelf at the bottom which added more stability.
  5. After a healthy coat of paint my corner shelf was ready for the dining room.
  6. I anchored the unit to the wall using an eye-bolt and wire.
  7. I kept the glass knob on the door and hung an old skeleton key.

Corner braces attached along back in 4 places

This photo shows the braces attached

This is how I built the bottom shelf with MDF

These 2 shelves were purchased at Lowes, they fit perfectly for this project

Here is the finished project, anchored to the wall with an eye-bolt and wire. This should help to protect grandchildren from tipping!

• Dorothy Sittler

Very well done! Is it mobile for moving?

• Leslie

Very nice job Mary. Thank you for sharing. If I might ask, did you do a home test for lead paint, or researched lead paint on older things and how to prevent being even nominally contaminated? Home Depot and Lowes sells an inexpensive kit to test for lead. This is one of the problems with recycling painted things especially wood before I think the 1980's.

• Maryvh

Beautiful job!

I totally understand Leslie’s concern. I used to pooh pooh the warning labels on solvents and regarding particulates when sanding or sawing. Then I had lung surgery to remove part of my lung. You tend to look at how we do things differently. Since then I am actually careful and wear a mask when sanding or cutting and I heed the labels. If it says Proposition 65 on it or it’s know to cause cancer in Califormia, well I don’t wanna go there again. Cancer surgery, not California. Lol I like to DIY but decided it wasn’t worth the risk to strip an old door with the good stripper, so I make a different choice.