DIY Garden Journal

$20

Right now is the best time to plan next year's gardens and the best way to accomplish that is with a Garden Journal. Keeping a Garden Journal is the best gardening resource to save you time and money year after year and a great way to keep you on track for your best garden ever! There are lots of garden journal type apps available, but I just haven't found one I like better than my paper garden journal. I've been doing a bit of research and put a Garden Journal together that is working well for me. I've done lots of tweaking and will likely do more, but for now I'm loving my Garden Journal. This is just a start to putting together your DIY Garden Journal. If you'd like more tips and free gardening printables to make a garden journal for yourself, pop by Gingham Gardens to get the full scoop. I'd love to have you.
Garden Journal Supplies:
  • A 3-ring binder (any 3-ring binder will work)
  • Tab Dividers (these work great for customizing your garden journal and adding sections to keep organized)
  • Photo Pages (these are awesome for holding seed packets, plant tags and garden pictures)
  • Zipper Pouches (these work great for holding larger plant tags, bulb package labels and gardening receipts)
  • Calendar
  • Photos of Your Garden
  • Plant tags
  • Seed Packets
  • Free gardening printables
Sections I have in my Garden Journal:
  • Calendar - I use divider tabs for each month. On the calendar, I keep notes like, first and last frost, reminders, weather patterns, etc.
  • Winter Sowing - I keep track of the seeds I've winter sown and the results.
  • Seed Starting - In this section, I keep a tracking chart of the seeds I've started early indoors and in my greenhouse, and make notes on the results.
  • I keep a section for each one of my garden beds. I hope to eventually complete an overhead type sketch of each bed, using colored erasable pencils. Totally a garden nerdy thing, but I think it would be so awesome. I also want to add pictures using the photo pages I mention above. I'm also keeping notes about what I want to move or change in each of these flower beds, so I can refer back to them in the spring.
  • I have a section for my Daylily Collection. I put together a chart that lists each variety of daylily, where I purchased it and which flower bed it resides in. So far, I have over 60 different varieties of daylilies.
  • I have a section for my Hosta Collection. I will use the same type of chart I did from my daylily collection and do the same thing for my hosta collection. This is high up on my to do list and I will get it done this summer.
  • I have a section for my vegetable gardens. In it I have a chart with each vegetable plant I planted for this summer and how it turned out.
This is just a start to putting together your DIY Garden Journal. If you'd like more tips and free gardening printables to make a garden journal for yourself, stop by Gingham Gardens to get the full scoop. I'd love to have you.

• 3-ring binder  (Amazon)
  • Tab Dividers  (Amazon)
  • Colored Pencils  (Amazon)

Joanna - Gingham Gardens