Scarecrow Bottles - Fun Fall Decor
This week's theme is Recycle the Summer, using summer items in new ways. I decided to use some of my summer recycling in this challenge. So, if you have been hoarding wine bottles or other bottles... this one's for you. My son bought some special soda bottles that are similar in shape to wine bottles. I remembered seeing some super cute Scarecrows from recycling glass bottles. So, I snagged them before they went into the recycling bin. And really any bottles could be adapted to this project, just be creative! I have a new tutorial that shows how the ghost, witch and new scarecrow are made that are shown in the video. You can find it here on Hometalk. It is called Recyling Glass Bottles into Halloween Decor Part 2.
I didn't have to buy these bottles since we had them but they are similar to wine bottles and Pellegrino Water bottles. Of course, any size bottle would work but these big ones are easier to paint the face onto.
I decided to try a new method that I read about for removing labels. You put 5 - 10 tablespoonfuls of baking soda in room temperature water. I think it was supposed to be for 15 minutes but I was busy and forgot it for an hour. It worked like a charm for the soda bottles but the pickle jars not so much.
At first, I was looking around for something to set on top of them and weigh them down in the water. Then I realized all I had to do was stand them upright filled with water. I felt a little foolish at how much time I tried to weigh them down.
I spray painted the bottom first. I used a creamy tan color.
Here is how they looked before I spray painted the tops.
I drew the face on with paint pens. Make sure it is dry before you stand the bottle upright. My paint from the eyes started to run down the face. I used a paper towel but it really made a mess on the face. Rookie error. Then, I took some strands of raffia and fashioned two pig tails. I used hot glue to attach this to the bottle. Next, I used two 15 inch pieces of burlap ribbon crisscrossing the top.
I used a combination of hot glue and the twine to secure the hat. I bent the bottoms up using hot glue to make a brim. I finished the hats up with Dollar Tree ribbon and flowers.
For my second scarecrow I used 1 piece of burlap ribbon folded over the top. I also braided the raffia for this one.
I warn you, these are addicting. I am already planning on buying more bottles to make more.
Talk about from “trash to treasure”. I will treasure these each year I get these out. Happy Fall Y’all!
A little before and after action, all in one photo.
Mums, scarecrows and sunflowers! Oh my!
I am so ready for fall and these cuties are helping ease the pain of the hot weather.
I would love to see your versions! If you make them, post them here on Hometalk.
Lately, I keep tweaking projects after I am finished. I ended up adding black ribbons to the orange braids because the orange didn't show up enough. I added a black pom pom to the middle of the ribbon. Lastly, I changed the top scarecrow's eyes from dark green to light green. Not sure about that change yet. I am waiting for it to dry completely and then I will add more black.
As soon as, I get another bottle, I am going to prepare a video of the process. The bottle is almost empty so it shouldn't be long.
AAAND I changed her eyes again... truth be told in the last 30 minutes, I have changed them 4 or 5 times. I think I am leaving them alone now!
Someone asked about making a witch so here are some fun alternatives!
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. More info