Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Festive Pumpkin Planters

$25

What says fall more than pumpkins? Here is a super easy and inexpensive way to dress up your porch for fall.

pumpkin planters

Step 1: Get pumpkins

Run, do not walk, to Walmart where plastic pumpkin pails are only $1.00 while supplies last.

For one planter, purchase 5 pumpkins.

pumpkin planters

Step 2: Rebar

Purchase 4' rebar rods and place them into a pot (yellow circles). Secure with stones and soil.

I made two planters so I purchased 2 rebar rods and 10 pumpkins.

pumpkin planters

Step 3: Cut the Handles

We don't need the handles so cut them off with a scissors (yellow circle)

pumpkin planters

Step 4: Drill holes

Drill holes in the bottom of each pumpkin big enough to fit onto the rebar rod.

pumpkin planters

Step 5: Slide the pumpkin

Slide the first pumpkin onto the rebar and place it in the pot.

pumpkin planters

Step 6: Fill with Soil

Fill the pumpkin with soil

pumpkin planters

Step 7: Plant a flower

I chose mums to plant in my pumpkins. At this time of year, mums are on sale.

pumpkin planters

Step 8: Continue planting

A - Slide the next pumpkin onto the rebar and tip it to the left. Add soil and a plant

B - Slide the next pumpkin onto the reba and tip it to the right. Add soil and a plant

C - Slide the next pumpkin onto the rebar and tip it to the left. Add soil and a plant

D - Slide the next pumpkin onto the rebar and tip it to the right. Add soil and a plant

pumpkin planters

If you turn the pumpkins around (so the faces are towards your house), add a festive fall mat and a wreath, you're ready for Autumn.

And...

pumpkin planters

once Halloween rolls around, just turn the pumpkins so the faces are towards the street, put out a fun Halloween mat and you're ready for trick or treaters!!

• Jkd4566882

Now into hour 2 of this simple project having problems with the stack tipping over. Did secure bottom pumpkin with some small rocks but as it gains height it become more unsteady. Any suggestions.

• Diane Bignowski

I hammered the rebar into the soil until it felt sturdy. Some Gusty winds and it'll be on the ground.

• Pamela Loe

How big is the drill bit that you are using? Going to do this for my mothers porch. Super exicited!!!🎃🎃🎃🎃

• Judy

Sorry, I posted my comment in the wrong box above! You gave me another idea though. Why couldn't I just plant mums in a bunch of those plastic pumpkins either for table center pieces or to place around here and there, even on the food buffet table? Each could have a different smile! Can still even give away at the end of the night! Thanks so much for your great idea!

• Pamela Loe

Yes doing it in the morning. If it turns out for me, i will be doing it for my work.

• Maureen

Great idea!! They look awesome!!