Melanie
Melanie
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Canada

From Plumbing Parts to a Work of Art

$10

So I was helping my brother hang an outdoor solar light and we needed something to secure it to the wall and he comes back with this metal strapping. As I watched him cut and bend this stuff the wheels in my head started turning thinking of all the things I could create with this. Seeing as fall is fast approaching I was envisioning pumpkins. So I made a quick trip to Home Depot to get me some strapping,
from plumbing parts to a work of art
First step is to gather your supplies. 1 box of metal strapping, 2 inches copper pipe elbow. 2 screws, 1 nut, and one top. The picture shows two different sizes. This is to make a smaller pumpkinwhich I have yet to do.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
You are going to determine the size pumpkin you want and cut the strapping accordingly. I wanted a fairly large one so my measurement was 17 inches. I used 10 to make this pumpkin, you can use more if you want less space in between.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Next I decided to spray paint my pieces. I used Rustoleum in a Metallic Rust color. You can paint any color or opt to leave as is.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Spray front and back and let dry.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Next step is to take one of the screws in your hand and you are going to take a piece of your strapping and place on the screw.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Continue until all strapping is on the screw. Lay out on a flat surface and secure in place with the nut.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Now you are going to take the other screw in your hand and start to bend the strapping up and placing on the screw.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Continue adding strapping to screw alternating sides til all pieces are on. Then secure with the screw top. It should now start to take shape.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Here is what it should look like but you can bend and shape this til you get your desired look.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Taking a glue gun, crazy glue etc you are going to glue your copper elbow over the screw top. This becomes your stem.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Next I took a mason jar lid as I wanted to create a base for a candle to sit on. I used a piece of wallpaper to cover the lid then glued in place. I used some Loonies ( Canadian Dollar) to balance in the middle til glue set and dried.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Using Fall leaves, or other fall decor attach to the top near stem. I used wire. If you don't have any fall decor dollar stores are great places to purchase items.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Here it is with fall stem attached. You can choose to add ribbon or raffia if you like.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Add your candle. I opted for battery operated. Sit back and enjoy! I loved making this project. You can do a cluster of these pumpkins in different sizes and colors. Stack em up. Add fairy lights, the options are endless and it won't break the bank to create.
from plumbing parts to a work of art
Love this!!!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 13, 2018 6:28 AM - More info

• Marilou b.

Definitely will try this, however, can I use a PVC elbow for stem and spray paint it?

• Nia Donovan

What did you use to cut the strapping?

• Barbara
    Yesterday

How does the pumpkin stand up- Mine just wants to fall over - I did cut the strapping 2 inches longer ( 19") do you think that could make the difference I need to finish for a gift but don't know what I can do to make it sit balanced on the table- did you have to form the strapping at all to make it sit flat??

• Melanie
      21 hours ago

Yes Barbara, you have to work the strapping, bending it etc. You cannot screw this up just work it going from side to side until you get it to sit the way you want it.

• Val

This is pure genius, you really made something so cool and funky! I love it.

• Jawene
    2 hours ago

This strapping is very hard to stretch out--wants to keep curling. It is 24 gauge-probably will look for some that is a little thinner

• Melanie
      An hour ago

Mine was 24 gauge, you could try something lighter but it may not keep it's shape.