Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Wooden Crates as Fall Planters - Front Door / Porch Refresh

$23

I love wood crates. I find that I can use and reuse them again and again. I decided with fall settling in, that my front door area could use some refreshing. I didn't want to spend a lot of money so I decided to look at repurposing things that I already had to recreate a whole new look. I only spent $18 on plants and $5 on a can of spray paint and I am really pleased with how it turned out.
wooden crates as fall planters front door porch refresh
The first thing that I did, was visit the garden center clearance area. The weather had just had a couple of cool nights so the selection was  .
I focused on the formula of trying to find a "Thriller", some "Filler" and some "Spiller" for my planter design. At this point, I didn't know how many planters I would be making so I just selected an assortment of plants that I liked.
I brought out some various containers and began trying different containers and plants together.
It soon became apparent to me that it needed to be taller than I originally planned because the front door is so tall. So, I grabbed more crates. I had to completely dismantle another project but that is the beauty of using crates.
I really tried a bunch of different ideas.
One thing that I have learned about crates on my porch is that if I use chalk paint (even waxed chalk paint), they mildew. So, I bought a can of spray paint that was rated for indoor or outdoor use. I am not sure if I have ever spray painted crates before. It was AWESOME! I did three crates in probably less than ten minutes and they only needed one coat of paint. One can did all three crates.
After all that mixing and changing things around and painting the crates, this is what I finally ended up with. And then, when I was creating the video, a new idea formed. Which do you like better? This, a crate pyramid... or ...
This! One planter flanking each side of the door?
I love how colorful and happy it is. For the time being, I planted the plants in a tinfoil roasting pan. It was the right shape and size for the inside of the wood crate. It is probably just a temporary solution for now.
I could use some more spillers, so I will keep looking but even so I am pretty satisfied with how it came together.
Error loading player:
No playable sources found

• DIY Did It for You

I love the color

• I prefer each side of the door and would paint the lower crates to match and turn them round Much tidier. I realise however that American tastes are far more rustic than other countries.