Fall Decor: Thankful Scroll DIY

$6

Happy November friends!! The count down to the holiday season has officially started, and the Christmas decorations have taken over the stores. But before we jump straight to Christmas cheer, I wanted to share a simple Thanksgiving decoration idea with you. Every November, as a family we do something throughout the month to help us all remember to be more grateful. In years past we've done the Thankful Pumpkin idea- which we love. But this year I wanted to do something that we didn't have to throw away, and could be stored easily. So I decided to make a Thankful scroll to hang in our dining room all November long. The idea is that we can add to the scroll throughout the month, and get our families in on the fun when they are here for Thanksgiving as well. I'm excited to see it filled out, and to have a visual reminder all month of how very blessed we are.

"It's not happy people who are thankful. It is thankful people who are happy."

fall decor thankful scroll diy

Supplies needed:

Brown packing paper (this is the paper I use)

Pencil

Scissors

Sharpie

Double sided tape

Bobby pins or paper clips

Twine

Printed saying/lettering (optional)

fall decor thankful scroll diy

Brown packing paper is something I love to use for different projects/decor around my house, so I always have a roll handy.  It's inexpensive and full of possibilities!

fall decor thankful scroll diy

First I measured the wall where I was going to hang the scroll, to see how big I wanted to make it.

fall decor thankful scroll diy

Then I printed out the words I wanted to copy onto my scroll. I used a font called Midnight that I downloaded for free a few years ago. Unfortunately I don't remember where I got it from- sorry! But there are plenty of free fonts out there to download, if you don't already have one you like.  Just google it! :)

fall decor thankful scroll diy

I unrolled the brown paper to the length I wanted my scroll, and cut it.

fall decor thankful scroll diy

Next I turned my printed lettering over and went over the back of the paper (where the lettering is) with pencil. Make sure you rub pencil all over the backside of the lettering- since this is what is going to transfer to your scroll.

fall decor thankful scroll diy

Then I used cups to hold down my scroll and keep it from rolling up. I positioned my words (right side up, with the side you rubbed pencil on- facing down) where I wanted them on the scroll, and secured them with a little tape. Then I used my pencil to trace over the letters and completely fill in over the letters. Make sure you press firmly while "coloring" in the letters.

Once I went over all the lettering, I removed the paper and was left with a nice outline of my words! Yay!!

fall decor thankful scroll diy

Then I used a fine tipped Sharpie to go over and outline all the letters. Once they were outlined, I went back and filled them in completely with a regular Sharpie.

fall decor thankful scroll diy

I decided after I got my lettering done, that it needed a little something else on it. So I decided to draw a simple half wreath design. I used a large dinner plate to create the lines- so they were a straight curve. Straight curves people- it's totally a thing....just go with it ;)

fall decor thankful scroll diy

I then added little leaves to the wreath stems, and went over them with the fine tipped Sharpie.

fall decor thankful scroll diy

Next I used double-sided tape on one of the ends of the scroll, and rolled it up to where I wanted it. And then repeated it on the other end of the scroll. This won't hold the rolled up ends in place for the long run...so I got 4 bobby pins to secure each end.

fall decor thankful scroll diy

You can use paper clips, but I've found that bobby pins work better because they are longer and little heavier. And I always have a million of them floating around my house :) But whatever you have will work.

fall decor thankful scroll diy

Then I cut a long enough piece of twine to hang the scroll with, and threaded it through the top. Once through, I held the scroll up and tied the twine in a knot at the height I wanted it to hang.

fall decor thankful scroll diy

And that's it! It's all ready to be covered with all the things we're thankful for...I'm excited to see it fill up!

fall decor thankful scroll diy
Jordan|featherbrained~fancy

• Sheri

I'm confused! Why did you turn your printed lettering over and went over the back of the paper (where the lettering is) with pencil? This wasn't a rub on transfer, so I'm very confused!

• Sheri

Thank you for your thorough reply. That makes a lot of sense. I wish she had explained it that way!

• Barb

Definitely want to do this...This has also inspired me to create other projects using your idea...Thanks for sharing.

• Barbara

I need to find a space to hang this as we have very little wall space in our kitchen, but I love the simplicity of the project and the daily reminder to be thankful for the many gifts we have. Beautiful!