Butterfly/Sunflower Designed Vanity Makover

$15
Advanced

I really have a thing for old vanities, especially with big round mirrors. They can be expensive so I am always on the lookout for fixer uppers. I came across this little gem at a garage sale for $10! I could not contain my excitement and purchased without really looking it over (it was $10!)! I got it home and was really happy that the drawers were in excellent condition but found out that the mirror was

butterfly sunflower designed vanity makover

This is what I brought home. It had been painted brown, then green, then white. It originally had beautiful veneer. My plan was to sand it down and stain it. Possibly putting some of my art on it.

This shows the many layers that I had to get thru. I sanded the white paint off using a 120grit. I then used my heat gun and removed everything else. I resanded with a 120 then 220 to finish.

I drew on a sunflower and used stain to create my image. I also cut I piece of wood to cover the broken piece of the mirror. I thought a butterfly would really bring the piece together because it kind of hovered and faced the flower. I could not afford to have another mirror made, so the decorative piece would just have to do. If you look closely at the pics you can see where the stain did not take in some places. I could have resanded and hoped I did not go thru the veneer, but there was no guarantee that it would even out if I did that. I stain a lot and don’t run into this often, I believe age and the many layers of paint were to blame. My only option was to paint or remove the veneer. I was not up for removing the veneer.

I chose a teal chalk paint. I let the paint dry for 24hours and sealed with a clear wax. I used an old chip brush to apply the dark wax. I removed the bottom or “feet” and replaced with wooden ball feet. I had bought a bag of wooden doll heads a while back. I attached them by drilling holes and countersinking the bolts when attaching. The ballfeet really helped the piece achieve the look I was going for.

Everything is attached. I sealed the stained areas with poly.

I replaced the original handles with something a little simpler. I loved the original hardware but they definitely would not have worked on this piece.

All done, I added the ball feet to the stool also. I removed the upholstery sanded and stained the top. I really like how it turned out. You can see more of my work on my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

• Heje

Just a thought that the wood grain would also look good in a vertical direction to simulation tree bark. Was that a thought or using wood you had on hand? Love the look and the colors are great.

• Ellen

What did you do with the dolls' heads? "I had bought a bag of wooden doll heads a while back. I attached them by drilling holes and countersinking the bolts when attaching. The ballfeet really helped the piece achieve the look I was going for." Should I assume you meant something else? LOL

• Ellen

Thanks for the info, Misty. Learned something new!

• Becky

If you are that talented to paint these things, did you ever think about adding a little something on the upper left side of the mirror? Just a little something like some gold to balance the piece better.??

• RC Holman

I think it looks wonderful with your vision and is perfectly executed as such. I wish I could sketch the flowers and the butterfly like you did. There is a product that I have recently discovered called "Unicorn Spit Gel Stain" that comes in a fabulous rainbow of vibrant colors. I have a door that a friend gave to me to stain with the Unicorn Spit. I would love to stain it with a variety of flowers and butterflies. One of these days I will find a way to execute what I see in my minds eye to this beautiful door, just like you did with your vanity!

• Rebecca Ice

Very cool idea and I would love to try this.

• Millie

Yes, I do like it very much, so unique and I wouldn't change a thing on it.