This is what I brought home. It had been painted brown, then green, then white. It originally had beautiful veneer. My plan was to sand it down and stain it. Possibly putting some of my art on it.
Butterfly/Sunflower Designed Vanity Makover
I really have a thing for old vanities, especially with big round mirrors. They can be expensive so I am always on the lookout for fixer uppers. I came across this little gem at a garage sale for $10! I could not contain my excitement and purchased without really looking it over (it was $10!)! I got it home and was really happy that the drawers were in excellent condition but found out that the mirror was broke on the right side, but everything else was pretty solid. No rebuilding needed. I just needed to figure out how to make the mirror work.
This shows the many layers that I had to get thru. I sanded the white paint off using a 120grit. I then used my heat gun and removed everything else. I resanded with a 120 then 220 to finish.
I drew on a sunflower and used stain to create my image. I also cut I piece of wood to cover the broken piece of the mirror. I thought a butterfly would really bring the piece together because it kind of hovered and faced the flower. I could not afford to have another mirror made, so the decorative piece would just have to do. If you look closely at the pics you can see where the stain did not take in some places. I could have resanded and hoped I did not go thru the veneer, but there was no guarantee that it would even out if I did that. I stain a lot and don’t run into this often, I believe age and the many layers of paint were to blame. My only option was to paint or remove the veneer. I was not up for removing the veneer.
I chose a teal chalk paint. I let the paint dry for 24hours and sealed with a clear wax. I used an old chip brush to apply the dark wax. I removed the bottom or “feet” and replaced with wooden ball feet. I had bought a bag of wooden doll heads a while back. I attached them by drilling holes and countersinking the bolts when attaching. The ballfeet really helped the piece achieve the look I was going for.
Everything is attached. I sealed the stained areas with poly.
I replaced the original handles with something a little simpler. I loved the original hardware but they definitely would not have worked on this piece.
All done, I added the ball feet to the stool also. I removed the upholstery sanded and stained the top. I really like how it turned out. You can see more of my work on my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass