Dixie Belle Paint Company
Dixie Belle Paint Company
  • Land O Lakes, FL

How to Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets White

$100

Victoria, of Simply Today Life, took her kitchen cabinets from drab to fab, and you can too!

how to paint your kitchen cabinets white

My husband knows I’ve been dying to get my hands on our 1980’s kitchen cabinets since we moved in. Sometimes, buying new cabinets isn’t in the budget and I’m all for budget-friendly DIY’s! That’s why painting my kitchen cabinets with Dixie Belle’s Chalk Mineral Paint was the perfect choice.

One thing I love about Dixie Belle’s Chalk Mineral Paint is that there is no need to sand or prime before painting. I wanted to get more of a clean, bright, and farmhouse look in my kitchen, so I chose Dixie Belle’s Cotton paint color. I knew it would be the perfect shade of white.

The first thing I did was take my cabinet doors and hardware off. Yes, it’s a pain, but the painting will be so much easier and cleaner. Once all the doors and hardware were off I used the Dixie Belle White Lighting Cleaner to clean all of the cabinets and doors.

I knew with our darker cabinets I would have to do more than one coat of paint. One of the great things about Dixie Belle’s paint is that it’s very thick and covers the cabinets well.

The last step is to cover everything with Dixie Belle’s Gator Hide. This will protect the cabinets from stains, water damage, and fingerprints. I applied the Gator Hide using their blue sponge. Once it dried, I applied two more coats. I wanted to make sure these were sealed perfectly.

• White Lightning Cleaner  (https://dixiebellepaint.com/white-lightning-cleaner-8oz/)
  • Cotton Chalk Mineral Paint  (https://dixiebellepaint.com/cotton-chalk-mineral-paint/)
  • Gator Hide  (https://dixiebellepaint.com/gator-hide-new-size/)
Dixie Belle Paint Company

• Carolyn

What are some other colors can be used, i LOVE that idea

• Dixie Belle Paint Company

Hi Carolyn! You can use any color you'd like! We've seen people use red, teal, brown, and a variety of others! Dixie Belle offers 64 different Chalk Mineral Paint colors so you have a lot of options!

• Rodney

My wife just paid a lot of cash for all new cherry wood cabinets in the kitchen and the stain is a reddish color, the center island she had made is stained antique white, well now she wants it all antique white, but I don’t want to go without a kitchen and I’m not spending anymore for the cabinets to be removed and redone, need some information on how to get the reddish cabinets to an antique white

• Dixie Belle Paint Company

Hello Rodney! Your best bet with getting reddish cabinets to white would be by following these steps:

Step one: Clean with White Lightning

Step two: Apply two coats of BOSS to prevent any bleed through from the wood

Step three: Paint one to two coats of a white color of Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint (I recommend Fluff or Drop Cloth)

Step four: Use Gator Hide for a water-repellent finish

There's no sanding required so it makes the job easier! Hope this helps!