How to Create an Ornament Wreath With a Twist

$3
1

For me creating this Christmas season is all about using what I already have in my stashes.

And one of those stashes is this box of plastic Christmas ornaments that I found at a yard sale a few years ago for $2.

After finding them again in my oh so Christmas-crowded craft studio I decided it was time to put them to good re-use.

So I divided them by color so I could see what I had to work with. Then all I needed was a 12" thrifted styrofoam wreath from from my stash, and my handy dandy had-forever glue gun.

I glued ball ornaments on the outside and inside of the wreath Form, mixing the colors in a way that I liked.

Now comes the twist.

I wanted to give my wreath a little extra something so I pulled this white sparkly garland from my stash and glued it on the front.

It not only looks pretty, but it stops the wreath form from peeking through the ornaments when I'm finished.

Then I just randomly glued on ornaments as I went, not really worrying about it too much.

I tend to be a just wing-it kinda gal.

Once I ran out of ball ornaments I started adding the different shapes, making sure to leave spaces so the white garland can do its pretty sparkly thing. It really is a nice backdrop for the colorful ornaments.

You honestly wouldn't know these ornaments were plastic unless your eyes were a couple inches in front of them. They're a very good imitation of the real thing, and I don't have to worry about breakage.

To see more tips and photos of this project check out my ornament wreath blog post here.

Color Me Thrifty

• Wendy Hupp

Did you glue the front ornaments to the foam or each other or both?

• Color Me Thrifty

Hi Wendy, you can more finishing details and pics on my site using the link in this post.

• CJ

Tuula, you're wreath is beautiful!

Shannon, that's a shame your ornament tree fell apart in storage! I hope it is an easy repair. ... could it have been too hot in your storage space during the summer? Just a thought.

• Color Me Thrifty

I agree with CJ. Sounds like a temperature thing. I would suggest trying E6000 glue as a permanent alternative.

• Denise Conyers

Very pretty! How do you keep the hot glue from melting the styrofoam wreath and plastic garland?

• Color Me Thrifty

Thanks Denise! Basically I used as little glue as possible and while it did melt the styrofoam a bit it wasn't really a problem. The plastic garland wasn't affected by the hot glue at all.