Tea Light Candle Cube

$20

Over the past few years I have collected offcuts of various timbers for either firewood or potential project ideas. This latest project is super simple, quick, and once you have the basic tool kit, very cheap. They are perfect gift ideas and design is completely up to you, however, for this post I chose to keep in straight forward.

The tools you will need:

Belt / Orbital sander.

Saw (Power or manual).

Drill.

tea light candle cube

Select the block of timber you want to use.

• I chose 100mm x 100mm cypress pine.
tea light candle cube

Cut to size and sand all six (6) sides with 80 grit, 120 grit, 180 grit, and finish with 240 grit.

• I chose to use a Belt sander for 80 and 120 grits. Then I used Orbital sander with 180 and 240 grits.
tea light candle cube

Select which end you wish to be the top and mark out the centre as shown.

tea light candle cube

Then get 1 5/8" forstner bit to drill out hole.

tea light candle cube

Drill hole until top of tealight candle sits 10mm above timber.

tea light candle cube

Apply 100% Bees wax with clean rag.

tea light candle cube

Tea Light Candle Cube complete :)

• Victoria

I know nothing about wood working. How did you round the edges so nicely?

• Curbside Designs

Hi Victoria :)

this can be achieve a number of ways. Either by

a) Hand sanding (place strip of sand paper in palm of your hand and gently close hand around edge to give it a radius).

b) Purchasing a trimmer (single hand router) and router bit for around $100 depending on which brand you go for.

• Charlene Wooten

I've tried to do this with a tree limb. Used a forstener bit and drill press. Neither myself or my husband were able to drill more than 1/4inch down. Have you got any tips?

• Curbside Designs

Hey Charlene, apologies for take so long to respond. Factors like species of timber (soft or hardwood), moisture content (is the tree limb green/fresh or dried). Ideally you should use dry wood which isn’t too dense (hard). Other than that it could be the drill or forstener bit you are using.