Planting a Sunny Garden

$40

Hi, I'm Amber Oliver! I hope if you enjoy this project you'll also stop by my blog!

Our front flower bed was starting to look a little bit CRAZY. It was completely overgrown and aside from the big crepe myrtle growing in the middle, there wasn't much else there besides weeds and grass.

planting a sunny garden

First up, the hard work. Pulling alllllllll those weeds! It would have been so much easier with a tiller but alas, I didn't have one. So I cranked up some tunes and got to pulling.

planting a sunny garden

Ah, that's better! Now it's time for the FUN part! Let's pick out some flowers!!

planting a sunny garden

I needed some plants that would grow in the sun. And not just any sun, TEXAS sun! Here's what I chose:

• Pentas
  • Angelonia
  • Vinca
  • Begonias (I put them in the back where they'd get a little shade)
planting a sunny garden

I always like to set them out so that I can get an idea of what they will look like.

planting a sunny garden

The best part is, most of these spread so the flower bed will be filled in within a few weeks!

If you LOVE gardening, please check out my gardening archives!

Amber Oliver

• Diane

Looks really nice, like the triangle shape, easier to mow around!

Did you use mulch ?????

It is -1 right now here, can't wait to be able to garden again-!!

• Sharron Bennett

What is the triangle shape, I mean what kind of grass is it? Very pretty flower bed, good job.

• Erin

Loriope (sp?)

commonly known as “monkey grass”

• Bette

Love it! What is the name of the edging plants? Does it hold up to hot sun? We live in SC and the heat kills everything. Few plants survive the heat here.

• Andrea

It resembles the monkey grass we use. You cannot kill the stuff and it SPREADS. I am in Georgia, so can tell you with a warm climate, if you use it be prepared for thinning it out every other year where you want it and digging it up where you don't! Pretty but Very invasive!

• Darla

That's a great and inventive idea. Great for a pawn that way overgrown. Mow your shapes (whatever ones you prefer and go from there. Love it and will be keeping in my files for future work projects. Thanks for sharing!

• Gruber

Good job