DIY Round Rope Area Rug

$15

Welcome to another DIY for less! Today I am tackling the task of creating a rope area rug. Rope rugs can be expensive, but if you do it yourself, you can have one for a fraction of the price. See how I made a round area rug to add some style to my room, and try it out for yourself! This is an easy DIY that takes a short amount of time.

I have been loving adding rope accents to my decorating at the moment, I just can’t get enough! I have seen similar rugs being sold for anywhere from $50-$300, but today I am going to show you how I made mine for just $16! Watch the video above to see how you can easily make your own, or keep reading for step by step instructions. Enjoy!

diy round rope area rug
diy round rope area rug

For the rope, I used 2 rolls of sisal rope that I picked up at the hardware store. I also used an old fitted sheet for the bottom of the rug, but you can use any type of fabric, sheet, or rubber backing to make it non-slip.

Starting with one end of the rope, roll it around itself a couple of times. Add some hot glue, continue rolling, and press it against itself until the glue dries. I won’t be using my rug in a high traffic area, but if you are, I would recommend using a stronger glue.

diy round rope area rug
diy round rope area rug
diy round rope area rug
diy round rope area rug

As you continue gluing, add the glue as close to the sheet as possible. You will start gluing each section of rope to the sheet or fabric so that this will end up being the bottom of the rug.

diy round rope area rug
diy round rope area rug

The process goes more quickly as the rug gets bigger, because you can glue larger sections at a time.

diy round rope area rug

I used 2 rolls of rope for this rug, but you can customize the size to whatever you’d like it to be by simply adding more rope.

diy round rope area rug

Once you are happy with the size, use scissors to start cutting the sheet about an inch or two out from the rope. This does not have to be perfect, you are just trying to cut it away from the larger part of the sheet or fabric. Next, flip it over and begin to cut in more closely. Be careful not to cut the rope, but try to cut as far in as you can so that you won’t be able to see the fabric underneath when the rug is right side up.

diy round rope area rug
diy round rope area rug

How easy is that?? I couldn’t believe how quickly I was able to get this done. It probably took about an hour from start to finish. I am so in love with the look of it and had a lot of fun styling it in my space. I hope you will give a try and let me know what you think! If you like this project and want to see more, check out my YouTube channel by clicking  here or visit my website:  www.katiebookser.com

diy round rope area rug
diy round rope area rug
Katie Bookser

• Deborah Ann Sassone

Can you do different colors

• Katie Bookser

I have read that you can also dip dye the rope beforehand using liquid dye, and someone else recommended fabric paint. I haven't tried either option, but it might be a fun experiment!

• Deborah Ann Sassone

What other types of rugs can you make.They are so expensive to by in stores I love area rugs I have hard wood floors and love to change colors all the time Colors make me happy and so it does for majority of people I love it thanks for sharing I look forward to any answers I love this site roo

• Lorie

I braid long strips of fabric and "sew" the braids in a circle for rag rugs. Super easy.

• Susan Rogers

Thank U!!! U have solved my problem, I’m remodeling my kitchen and living room . And it’s one big room so I could not find anything that I loved for each Area. This is the first time that I have watch U. That will b perfect!!!! But they will have lots of wear and tear. So what kind of glue, and will a sheet b enough on the back??? I will need one 7foot long and 5foot wide and one 106ins and 2 wide. And can U make them oval??? I will b looking forward to ur next project!!! 😃

• Blancher
      30 minutes ago

Sure you can make them oval! Simply start out with a length of rope, depending on how 'long' you want your carpet, and curve the next row of rope up and around and right along side of or 'adjacent' to it, gluing of course, as you go. When you get to the other end of your 'starter' rope, curve around it's (other) end, and continue on. If you are worried that a sheet is not sufficient backing, you could always buy a roll of that rubber-like material that they suggest for shelf liners. Go for it!

• Barbara Radley

I love this idea! I will try this. I to have have a high traffic area. But I think maybe with a curve needle and a strong thread I could sew it along with glue it should hold.

• Marybeth lantz

Have stitched a similar DIY rug from bath towels. Love the results, however protect your hands and fingers from stress/blisters and

pressure from forcing needle thru fabric. Have fun, enjoy.

• Sandra

Great idea.