DIY Round Rope Area Rug

$15

Welcome to another DIY for less! Today I am tackling the task of creating a rope area rug. Rope rugs can be expensive, but if you do it yourself, you can have one for a fraction of the price. See how I made a round area rug to add some style to my room, and try it out for yourself! This is an easy DIY that takes a short amount of time.

I have been loving adding rope accents to my decorating at the moment, I just can’t get enough! I have seen similar rugs being sold for anywhere from $50-$300, but today I am going to show you how I made mine for just $16! Watch the video above to see how you can easily make your own, or keep reading for step by step instructions. Enjoy!

For the rope, I used 2 rolls of sisal rope that I picked up at the hardware store. I also used an old fitted sheet for the bottom of the rug, but you can use any type of fabric, sheet, or rubber backing to make it non-slip.

Starting with one end of the rope, roll it around itself a couple of times. Add some hot glue, continue rolling, and press it against itself until the glue dries. I won’t be using my rug in a high traffic area, but if you are, I would recommend using a stronger glue.

As you continue gluing, add the glue as close to the sheet as possible. You will start gluing each section of rope to the sheet or fabric so that this will end up being the bottom of the rug.

The process goes more quickly as the rug gets bigger, because you can glue larger sections at a time.

I used 2 rolls of rope for this rug, but you can customize the size to whatever you’d like it to be by simply adding more rope.

Once you are happy with the size, use scissors to start cutting the sheet about an inch or two out from the rope. This does not have to be perfect, you are just trying to cut it away from the larger part of the sheet or fabric. Next, flip it over and begin to cut in more closely. Be careful not to cut the rope, but try to cut as far in as you can so that you won’t be able to see the fabric underneath when the rug is right side up.

How easy is that?? I couldn’t believe how quickly I was able to get this done. It probably took about an hour from start to finish. I am so in love with the look of it and had a lot of fun styling it in my space. I hope you will give a try and let me know what you think! If you like this project and want to see more, check out my YouTube channel by clicking  here or visit my website:  www.katiebookser.com

15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
Katie Bookser

• Kareema Griest

Could this be used as a "boot rug" or front door rug? Can you make it square or rectangular, or only round?

Oooh! Could designs be painted on it? If so, what's the best type of paint to use so it holds up to traffic?

• Katie Bookser

I would recommend using a heavy duty adhesive like Liquid Nails if you want to have it in a higher traffic area. You can definitely dye the rope or paint it, and although this sounds crazy I’ve actually heard of people using spray Flex Seal with stencils to put designs onto things like this. It’s rubberized so it will last! You can also just use a good outdoor acrylic paint and seal it with a clear poly.

• Mishelly Burke

Brill idea think I'll do one for my kitchen bcz my dog prefers to lie on floor this would be more comfortable for her I think (she's a big dog)

• Carol Cole

I love it but wouldn't the sheet make it slippery on the floor?

• Gill Osborne

Hot glue gun stripes would help that. A little like the socks with the spots on the soles.

• Lynne Clark

GREAT idea!! For finishing, you could have cut evenly around the rug, leaving say 2", then glueing that down on the back. That would eliminate the danger of cutting the rug and there would be no fraying of the backing material. You could also use some non-sliding studd [like that drawer liner grid stuff] so that the rug did not slide [assuming you were making it the more permanent type.

• Marcia
    16 minutes ago

Thanks for the idea. Think this would go great at my beach house!!