Transform a Cheap Terra Cotta Pot Into THIS!

$10

I love pretty potted plants and flowers, but I do not like to spend the money for an expensive planter! Since I'm likely not the only one that likes pretty things without spending lots of money, read on!

transform a cheap terra cotta pot into this

I love the look of an aged terra cotta pot, but the brand-new orange pots just aren't my thing. BUT, they are cheap! At least in comparison to many other planters.

There is a solution!

Age your own terra cotta plants using the white wash painting technique.

Supplies:

1. Terra cotta pots
  2. White paint (Any will work! I used regular latex paint left over from a different project. Chalk paint would also work great!)
  3. A couple of old socks or cloths
  4. Water

Steps to White Wash a Terra Cotta Pot:

1. Wet the old sock in water. Wring out excess water.
  2. Dip sock into very small amount of white paint (you can always add more later if needed).
  3. Wipe paint onto pot.
  4. Lightly dampen another sock and begin wiping the paint away for a "washed" or "aged" look. Remove as much or as little as you like!

If you end up wiping away too much of the paint, just repeat steps 2-4.

NOTE: The paint will dry fairly quickly, so you won't have a lot of time for the 4th step, So, work fast! (Don't stress, just be aware;-)

If you haven't used this "white wash" technique, it is a fun and fast way to change up some decor!

I've also stenciled on several terra cotta pots after "aging" them through this painting method. It's a great gift!

Stenciling can be addictive! See how I stenciled my bathroom tile floors here!

Happy white washing!

April at LoveOurRealLife

• Christy Roppel

I want to try this. My question is: because the pots are porous, does watering the plants have any effect to the outside of the pot?

• Bishop J
      An hour ago

You need to line the clay with another smaller pot, depending on the size of the pot, cottage cheese, sour cream, margarine tubs,etc. work well. But the water will leach through, staining and making an ugly mess without a liner.