Glamourous Oyster Shell Candles

$5

In the past I've used big scallop shells to make gorgeous trinket dishes to give as gifts. This time I had some large gnarly looking oyster shells that I wanted to repurpose into something.

I managed to make the shells look rather glamorous and I used them to make some beautiful candles. The candles look great on any tablescape and would make a lovely gift especially when presented in a nautical map gift

glamourous oyster shell candles

I just used some large old oyster shells like these ones.

glamourous oyster shell candles

For the candle bit you will need some soy candle wax flakes, wicks and an old saucepan and a pyrex jug. If you want to colour your candles or make them smelly, this can be done with dye and oils.

glamourous oyster shell candles

The first thing I did was to spray the outside of the oyster shells with gold paint. This instantly transformed them into something more glamorous.

glamourous oyster shell candles

Don't melt the candle wax directly on heat. Use a "bain-marie" like you would melting chocolate. That is place the wax in a pyrex jug/bowl over a pan of simmering water.

glamourous oyster shell candles

Once the wax has melted. It goes clear, take it off the heat. Then add any dye or smelly oils to it.

glamourous oyster shell candles

Carefully pour the melted wax into each oyster shell. Place a wick in each shell. Use some cocktail sticks to keep the wick upright until the wax sets.

For more photos and instructions check out my blog at the end.

glamourous oyster shell candles

Once the wax has set cut the wicks down with some scissors.

glamourous oyster shell candles
glamourous oyster shell candles

I made quite a few of these candles. Some to give as gifts. With the ones as gifts, I simple wrapped a box in nautical gift wrap for a lovely presentation.

glamourous oyster shell candles

You can make these gift candles even more economical by melting left over old candles and using that wax instead.

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Susan

Can you use food coloring to dye the wax.

• Honighaus

Crayons should not be used to color wax as they tend to gum up the wick. There are special dyes made for candle waxes, be it soy, or beeswax.

• Jill Ron Pike

Claire, may I come visit you?....take lessons from you?...see your wonderful home?  ...always love your projects! This one's no exception.

• Millie

Shells can be gotten free anywhere there are oysters. Wish I could get some to you there are thousands in my town

• Meem Kaplan

Come down to Pacific County. They are all over the place! Yes, if you eat ones you collect, you do have to leave them on the beach at parks. But we harvest outside of the parks and have an enormous amount of them. I prefer the ones that have been tumbled in the water for crafts. At least I did before seeing this! Now I will paint mine before making them into little candles.

• D fuhrman

Beautiful gift for next to nothing.