Fireplace Faux Stone

$10

Took my plain paneled fireplace and made it look like stone. Less than 4 hours and less than $10

Start taping. I wanted to have more of a stone look than a brick. With a brick pattern you may have to use a ruler or level. You can see the fireplace is just wood. Almost like the back side of paneling

I tried to only have the top center have somewhat of a pattern

Mud all over the tape as well

Carefully while the mud is somewhat wet, pull the tape off. If you wait too long the mud will dry and you'll have trouble. After the tape is all off I used a fan to speed up the drywall drying process.

Now just start painting over the mud. I used all leftover paints I had. Used an aluminum foil plate to mix some colors together. I even used a bronze and a black spray paint I had.

Keep painting until you like what you see I guess.

Finished and enjoyed a fire by the end of the night. Less than 4 hours!!!!

• Ann Kumpe Suziedelis

Beautiful, but I am concerned and confused about the safety of this fireplace. Has the wood surround been treated to be fireproof? What about the black paint? Is it special high heat paint? I was told that anything around the fire in a fireplace had to be fireproof. I would really appreciate knowing if I am wrong about this.

• Lisa West

People all fire places have to have brick or some type of concrete for inside and out to protect the home from fire. The out side front of the fire place can be wood, brick what have you. When this family bought the house inspection would not have passed or been sold if the casing was not fire proof. The front or face of the fire place is safe. So she can paint lay brick what ever she wants as it will not effect the fire or the out put of heat. Great job on your creativity as well.

• Rose P

Great job, looks fantastic. I wonder what's behind the wood?

• Millie

Might be worth a try but I was wondering, you had black background you taped over and then removed the tape when the mud got a little dry and then spotted it with paint but how did the line inbetween get painted, did you have to do it separate or wouldn't it have shown black like what the tape had covered?