Save Your Heuchera Seed to Get Free Heuchera

Since it is the time of year that all those beautiful Heuchera are setting seed I thought I would share with you how to save those seeds so you can grow your own for free. I personally love Heuchera-they are very adaptable, carefree, generally pest and disease resistant and come in some amazing colors. One thing I do not like about them is the price-some can range from 6.00 to upwards of 15.00. So to combat the price a few years ago I started growing them from seed using my own seed and also by exchanging seeds with others. I now have upwards of 40 plants (probably closer to 50) and more than half I grew from seed. The best part of growing them from seed is you don't know what you are going to get-sometimes a new "hybrid" will pop into the mix. A few varieties will come true from seed, these include "Dale's Strain" and "Palace Purple" while others will hybridize and maybe give you something unique. Here are pictures of a few of the Heuchera I have grown from seed:
Here are the steps to save those seeds and make your own:
1. Gather up a bowl or container to put the seeds and seed heads in.
2. Find a Heuchera that has browning flower stems and seed heads. They will look like this:
3. Now grab the stem with your hand below the last set of seed heads like this:
4. Now "cup" your hand around the stem and run your hand firmly up the stem to pull of the seed heads and even some stems like this:
5. Put the seed heads in a bowl. You can see here the very tiny black seeds that have fallen out of the seed heads already:
6. Transfer to a paper plate for drying. I usually leave them to dry for a few weeks and also don't forget to label the plate with the name:
7. After you let them dry for a few weeks you can separate the seed from the chafe (seed heads etc). I use an old kitchen sieve-it does pretty good.
Crush the seed heads up to get out any seeds that may be in there:
8. Now get a seed baggie ready-I prefer to use plastic zip baggies that I pick up in the craft aisle at Walmart but some prefer to use paper envelopes or even make their own. Use whatever you like just be sure to label with the name, date, and I like to put G which means they are from my garden.
9. Put the seeds in the seed baggie and store in a cool and dry place until you are ready to sow. It is not necessary to store them in the refrigerator.
Here are a couple more of my seed sown Heuchera to give you some inspiration:
My preference for starting them from seed is by using the method referred to as Wintersowing. I have had awesome results using this method to germinate most of my perennials and even some annuals. I highly recommend you give it a try. Stop by my blog for more pictures of seed grown Heuchera-

3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Rhonda B

• Romona Quibodeaux

I'm all for saving wheresoever I can! My dad saved his seeds for most all our crops.you have a beautiful fern! Thanks for sharing.

• Rhonda B

@Romona Quibodeaux I try to save most of my seeds too-it sure does save money in the long run.

• Noelle Churchill

Ooh nicely done! I usually keep them packaged like you do, but for a shorter period of time due to them drying out so quickly.