Emily / Relentless Furniture
Emily / Relentless Furniture
  • Tutorial Team
  • South Milwaukee, WI

Making a New Centerpiece

$15

This was a fairly simple project with a delightful result. I found this old vase at a local thrift store and I needed it! However, I am not fond of the shiny gold look so I decided to give it a new look.

making a new centerpiece

This is the original piece. Tall, thick glass, shiny, and gold.

making a new centerpiece

The first thing I did was cover the glass and prime the metal pieces. I like to use automotive primer on shiny, smooth surfaces because I find that it really holds the primer well which, of course, holds the paint well.

making a new centerpiece

I dipped them into the paint bucket instead of brushing or spraying. Dipping can get messy but it gives really smooth, full coverage. I wanted a speckled look, so the next step was using a small paint brush and "flicking" specks of charcoal paint onto the newly white surfaces. To help prevent thick clumps of paint, I got the brush wet by stirring it in a cup of water before dipping it in the paint and I did a couple of "flicks" onto a plastic bag before aiming for the vase.

making a new centerpiece

Here are a couple different ways that I may use my new centerpiece. I added dark rocks and stuck in some tall candles. I also wanted to see how it looks with water and floating candles. Both techniques add a nice ambiance to our dinner table.

making a new centerpiece

Before and After

• Freda

So how did you stop the paint going in side of the glass when you dipped it?

• Yep, I taped up the top. There was one tinyleak that left a small streak of paint down the inside, but I was easily able to scrap that away when it dried.

• Qqueen5000

How can you state that the project costs $15? Annie Sloan quarts are $17 X 2= 34 alone! Plus primer (6), tape (4), brushes (5). Seems to me that this project would cost $50 if someone had to buy all the supplies. Maybe you already had the paint, but that price is misleading.

• Suzanne

Frequently you also can get a sm can of “sample” paint.... to take home to try...

• Robyn Garner

Did you know there's an easier way to get speckles and to get more of them? Dip the tip of your brush in paint and then while aiming at your project. tap the handle of the brush against a ruler or strip of wood.

You should practice this on a piece of cardboard before moving on to the piece itself! You need to know how to aim, how much paint to put on the brush, how far away you should be from piece and how hard to hit the brush against the ruler. This isn't an exact science so have fun and don't stress about it. You can always wipe off excess paint. 😎👍