DIY Curtain Rod | Extra Large and Kid Proof

$30

If you have a large set of windows, a bay or corner window, or even a regular sized window, this tutorial is a great way to get a custom curtain rod for cheap. Not only is a curtain rod made of pipe very inexpensive to construct, it is also much more durable than most of the affordable store bought options. I mean, my four kids haven't been able to break a single one of the pipe curtain rods we have put together. Yah!

Be sure to check out my blog for even more detailed instructions!

diy curtain rod extra large and kid proof

Before gathering your supplies, measure your windows to see how much pipe you will need. If you want to add angles, such as my 90 degree angle, add about 6-12 inches onto your total length.

I decided to use 1/2 inch electrical conduit for this project, because it is still pretty sturdy, and is crazy cheap. You can also use plumbing pipe if you like, but that will cost quite a bit more.

Cut your pipe to length using a saw or tube cutter. I ended up using a hack saw when my tube cutter proved to be too old and rusty. With a little muscle, a tube cutter is an inexpensive option for those without a huge stockpile of tools. It will just take a bit of muscle.

Also, I noticed that my hardware store offered pipe cutting, threading and bending. Definitely explore that option if you don't have the tools!

Spray paint your pipe unless you like the industrial chrome look. I used my hot glue gun to attach some wooden drawer knobs to cover the open pipe ends.

If you glue knobs to the ends of your pipe, be sure to add your curtain rings before gluing the knobs. However, if your curtain has a rod pocket, small knobs should fit through that.

If you are making a very long rod, you may need to connect pipe pieces with a coupling. I used a compression coupling to make my pipe longer.

If using couplings, position them strategically so that they don't interfere with the sliding of the curtains. If possible, try to use a solid piece of pipe for convenience sake.

Mount your curtain rod to the wall using screw in wall hooks. These are way more heavy duty that regular curtain hooks. I spray painted mine matte black to match the rod.

Once your rod is mounted, you can hang your curtains and enjoy!

Heather Cammack

• Stephanie Carillo

How do you move the curtains past the wall support? Do you have enough curtain to completely cover both windows!

• Heather Cammack

I'm not really moving my curtains, they are just there for the cozy vibes. If you want to use curtains for privacy or light blocking, you will need to place the wall supports in between curtain panels because you can't move the curtains past them. Just like you would with any store bought curtain rod.

• Michele

I Love this. Thank you for Posting it. I was looking for something to use for my deck. Great idea. Thanks

• Heather Cammack

Fun! I Actually used this same method to do outdoor curtains around my patio and it has worked great!

• Ashley

How did you attach the pipe to the wall?

• Tammy

You can also use dail rods to make curtain rods

• Mike

You may be able to get 20foot lengths from electricians supply house. Or if u need 2 join 2 pieces, drive a wooden dowel inside both pieces. Bringing the curtain over those connectors is a problem and doesn’t give a goo appearance

• Heather Cammack

If you use the dowel I would recommend gluing it. I had a friend try that method and it kept coming apart on her. I don't mind the connectors because they are a good sturdy option, but I think a wooden dowel could work well if done right.

• Cecilia
    30 minutes ago

Great job!