DIY Concrete Head Planters For Your Garden

$30

Hi everyone. Today I want to share how I made these concrete planters. I promise they are a lot easier to make than they look.

The instructions for this DIY are pretty straight forward. I used a Styrofoam head as my base and applied a layer of concrete on top. The trick to getting this DIY done with fine detail is all in the concrete mix. I used a concrete called shapcrete and I gotta say this stuff is amazing. It melts like butter under your finger tips. It's doesn't feel like clay but this concrete mix somehow sticks together in a way that makes it so easy to work with. If you're wondering whether a regular concrete mix would work for this unfortunately I haven't tried it and wouldn't know for sure. I do think that shapecrete played a huge part in the fine details.

I cut out a hole in the center of her head for the plant.

Here's a close up on the concrete mix once it mixed.

Than I applied a layer of concrete onto the styrofoam head.

I picked up a few tricks along the way the really helped me makes her facial features stand out. ( I talk more on the blog about this - https://www.lilyardor.com/head-planters/ )

Here's how she looked complete. I let her set for and planted some succulents. ( note: I heard concrete needs to set for 28 days in order for it not to harm your plants. )

I also made a mail planter using the same method.

That's it!

Any Questions? Visit my blog for the full tutorial

https://www.lilyardor.com/head-planters/

Lily Oleynik

• June

I see in the male planter you have the eyes open. If wanted to add clear or coloured glass beads to them , would you add right after while the cement is still quite wet or just glue when dry ?

• Amherstbelle

How dd the moss patina come about? Is it artificial or did you set it in a spot where moss grows? If real, how long did it take to get so beautiful?

• Connie

How did you get the styrofoam head out of the concrete? Did you have to destroy the head to get it out?

• Doreen Woods

I'm assuming she hlollows out the head a bit. I also think drainage holes are a must for live plants. I'm going to give it a try and really hollow out the head and add holes through the neck.

• Patsy Trueblood

I would like to try this project but I can't find Shapecrete Concrete Mix. I tried all the places you suggested on your Blog but none carry that brand. I found it at Home Depot but when I tried to order it, it said it was discontinued.

• Diane
    3 minutes ago

Awesome!