DIY Concrete Head Planters For Your Garden

$30

Hi everyone. Today I want to share how I made these concrete planters. I promise they are a lot easier to make than they look.

The instructions for this DIY are pretty straight forward. I used a Styrofoam head as my base and applied a layer of concrete on top. The trick to getting this DIY done with fine detail is all in the concrete mix. I used a concrete called shapcrete and I gotta say this stuff is amazing. It melts like butter under your finger tips. It's doesn't feel like clay but this concrete mix somehow sticks together in a way that makes it so easy to work with. If you're wondering whether a regular concrete mix would work for this unfortunately I haven't tried it and wouldn't know for sure. I do think that shapecrete played a huge part in the fine details.

I cut out a hole in the center of her head for the plant.

Here's a close up on the concrete mix once it mixed.

Than I applied a layer of concrete onto the styrofoam head.

I picked up a few tricks along the way the really helped me makes her facial features stand out. ( I talk more on the blog about this - https://www.lilyardor.com/head-planters/ )

Here's how she looked complete. I let her set for and planted some succulents. ( note: I heard concrete needs to set for 28 days in order for it not to harm your plants. )

I also made a mail planter using the same method.

That's it!

Any Questions? Visit my blog for the full tutorial

https://www.lilyardor.com/head-planters/

25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Lily Oleynik

• June
    June

I see in the male planter you have the eyes open. If wanted to add clear or coloured glass beads to them , would you add right after while the cement is still quite wet or just glue when dry ?

• Amherstbelle
    Amherstbelle

How dd the moss patina come about? Is it artificial or did you set it in a spot where moss grows? If real, how long did it take to get so beautiful?

• Melody Boling Medlock
      Melody Boling Medlock

She also has a link to her blog on the concrete succulent planter project that tells you how to add the same effect with faux moss.

• Connie
    Connie

How did you get the styrofoam head out of the concrete? Did you have to destroy the head to get it out?

• Nonni B.
      Nonni B.

She covered and formed the cement over the styrofoam head. She has the video on YouTube. You can see it there. You also need to put drainage holes before you cover everything in cement, that way they’re easier to poke through.

• Bek
    Bek

I love this, and...my mind is scurrying in so many directions now! I have any number of things that I was going to purge. Some of them would look stupendous covered in shapecrete and set on my porch!

• Dl.5660408
    Dl.5660408

Thank you so much for sharing your project. I love that type of planter but they’ve always been price prohibited. Now there’s a real possibility 😻😻😻