How to Paint Tile to Look Like Old Stone

$75

Looking for an easy and inexpensive way to give your outdated tile a makeover? Don't have a lot of time or money in the budget for replacing your tile floor? Then I have a fabulous solution for you! This project takes minimum supplies, and is so easy to do!

My tile was is great condition! It just wasn't the style I wanted for my bathroom. I began by trying my hand at stenciling. That didn't go well, so when I began to paint over my mistake, I came up with a super easy technique!

Clean your bathroom floor making sure it is free of dust, dirt, and hair. Then apply two coats of primer making sure to allow the allotted drying time in between coats. I used Zinser primer and it worked fabulous!

Next, apply two coats of Rust-oleum chalk paint in the color "Charcoal". Once these two coats are dry, paint two coats of latex paint in any off-white color.

Using a small craft brush paint the grout in a light gray color. I used acrylic paint because it dries quickly, but you can use a light gray color in latex paint as well.

This is the fun part! With a small electric sander begin by sanding the four edges of the tile. Then sand the middle of the tile. You will be creating the look of old tile, so each tile doesn't have to be perfect. Just sand each tile relatively the same amount.

Once you have swept, and vacuumed up all of the dust, wipe down your floors with a damp rag. Now you are ready to apply two coats of sealer. I used Varathane polyurethane sealer in gloss.

I could not be any more happy with this floor! It was inexpensive. It was fast. It is durable, and I LOVE the look!

This video will guide you through this technique step-by-step.

15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Jennifer Decorates

• Debra
    Debra

How is the floor holding up...I read somewhere that laytex paint is not good for floors because it could peel

• Julie DeHart Burns
    Julie DeHart Burns

You used a brush to paint the off-white top coat, can you use a roller?

• Rachel
    Rachel

Do you think I could use the Rustoleum floor coating for this project? Maybe two base coats, the first dark grey and the second white, then sand then use the top coat?

• Skilled Thrifty Creatives
    Skilled Thrifty Creatives

Beautiful job and they have that perfectly worn and aged look.

• Laura Testa
    Laura Testa

I love this! I have ugly kitchen tile and this would look perfect with my blue grey walls that I have throughout my first floor entryway and kitchen. :)