Installing a Kitchen Sink in Butcher Block Countertop

$250
Advanced

We recently renovated our outdated kitchen, which included replacing a tile counter top with butcher block and installing a new single-bowl sink. This may seem like a daunting task, but if you have moderate DIY experience, you can do it yourself.

This is what the kitchen looked like before we began. We demoed the tile and removed the sink and plywood to reveal an open counter space.

After installing the butcher block, (Which you can read about here http://www.realgirlsrealm.com/2019/05/installing-butcher-block-counters-one.html) we were ready to cut the hole for the sink. This particular model did not come with a paper template. The instructions said to flip the sink upside down, trace around it, then come in 1/4" all the way around for your cut.

I positioned the sink where I wanted it then put down painters tape around it to trace onto with a pen, since I did not want to draw directly on the butcher block. We used a pencil to make the inside line which was the template.

My husband used the circular saw to cut the straight part of the front and sides, but could not clear the back of the sink. So we, had to unscrew the piece and pull it out to cut the back side. He used the jigsaw to cut the rounded corners. It is slow work with a jigsaw; you have to be patient and let it cut at its own pace.

We used a "General Purpose" Magnum blade on the circular saw to cut the butcher block.

We dropped the sink into the hole and connected the plumbing and faucet. We finished it by caulking around the edge of the sink to seal it.

The butcher block and stainless steel is so much cleaner and brighter than the old tile with stained grout. I love how it turned out and am proud that we installed it ourselves!

Mary from Real Girl's Realm

• Michael Gregersen

Why not use the template that comes with all sinks!

• Sherry

Why don't people read the post? Its clearly explained!! Geezz. Looks great

• Donna Belvees

Beautiful!!!! I would like to know what you did with the piece of butcher block that you cut out for the sink? It would be a shame to not use it somehow. Especially as it is such an expensive thing to begin with.

• Kate

I like Sally-Charles Evans idea of saving it to put over the sink opening for extra counter space when you need it. We did that in our R.V.

• Lori Patrick

How do you keep the butcher block clean? Thinking of using it.