Replacing My Barnwood Shelf With 2 Open Shelves Above My Kitchen Sink

$20

I mentioned a while back that I was moving away from the rustic look entirely. I sanded down and stained my beams before I started most of my other renovations. Also, when I refinished the floors here in the kitchen I sanded down and stained my kitchen sink base as well. With that complete my attention turned to the big barn wood shelf above my kitchen sink and I knew I wanted something totally different and far more delicate.

Just like with the beams and my sink base that shelf could not be wiped down, it caught everything and it gave major splinters.

It had to go!

A few minutes and a little surgery and I got it taken a part with no trouble at all.

(Here’s a disgustingly perfect example of the smoke damage I’ve been talking about, just look at my back splash where the shelf used to be!)With it gone I couldn’t believe how it felt to stand at my sink… it was like I took my baseball hat off and the bill was no longer shadowing my eyes. Amazing!

I had screw holes in my back splash that I filled with white caulk then I moved on to my new shelves.

I’ve always wanted two shelves here, one lower for my practical things and one higher up for some decoration.  These brackets on Amazon were just the ticket.

I used 1x8s from the old shelf and sheetrock anchors to put them up.Then I tackled something that’s been bothering me for the last four years. My light above my sink isn’t centered above my sink. Its off by about five inches…*eye twitches*It’s the old yard light and we all know they just don’t make things like they used to so, of course, it weighs a ton. It isn’t something that I can just use a couple of sheet rock anchors to keep up on the wall and that’s exactly why its off center.I had a 1×10 on hand that I cut to 11 inches long and then drilled a hole in the exact center of it (for the electrical line). After putting the light back up I was so excited to finally have it centered!

I am SO thrilled with the two smaller shelves. After several coats of paint I can clean them, they give a great space for kitchen accessories and, finally, I have a centered light above my kitchen sink too!

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Everything Red For Canada Day
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
GrandmasHouseDIY

• Jennie Didier

I love the backsplash. Is it tin or tile?

• Nancy

I had the copper color and painted mine white.

• Martinez

Your upgrade looks great! However being married to an electrician, do you realize you have an electrical outlet right next to a water source and it's not a GFI outlet? That is extremely dangerous and should be fixed asap!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Martinez, thanks so much but after passing inspection in Minnesota I can tell you that for a lot of states now a GFCI outlet in the kitchen is NOT gonna cut it anymore! In fact GFCI outlets in Minnesota will no longer pass code in renovations or new construction and I was required to put in a duel GFCI/AFCI breaker on both of the 20 amp breakers that run my kitchen.

With the correct breakers, the outlets are then only required to be tamper proof as they are throughout my home. Thanks for pointing it out though I'm sure many folks here probably won't realize as you didn't and assume I would put a dangerous fire hazard by my kitchen sink lol!

• Nancy

I love this. You have done a wonderful job and it is a bright change.

• Sharlene Laurie Waugh

Such a Sweet Space! One thought (that you might have had already and decided against): if you were to cut off the portions of your shelves that extend past the shelves on the right hand side, and leave the same little wee amount of shelf extend past the bracket on the right side that presently extends past the bracket on the left side, you would achieve symmetry in your sink area. I do realize that you would lose a little shelf space, but in terms of aesthetics, I believe the gain in balance would outweigh (in appeal) the loss of space, as the area would be more cohesive when your shelves and sink and light all are lined up.