DIY Fabric Grow Bags

$5

Some of our plants needed to be moved over in bigger containers, so I made DIY grow bags to transfer them into. We had a lot of leftover landscape fabric after building the Square Foot Garden boxes and I decided to use it for this project. The material is sturdy and made for gardening, so it’d work great. I found this tutorial on how to DIY grow bags and it was a helpful starting point. I wanted to make our bags stronger and easier to carry, so I made some changes:

• Doubled the fabric used
  • Made my bags taller so I can roll the top and use it to grab the bags when they need to be moved around
  • Used a slightly different method to figure out where the seam will go on the bottom corners

P.S. These bags aren’t hard to make, but they are somewhat time consuming, especially if you’re making many of them. I’ve seen some online that aren’t expensive at all, so if you’re planning to buy all the materials, it may not be worth the cost. If you already have materials on hand, then it’s just a time commitment. Evaluate wisely!

diy fabric grow bags
diy fabric grow bags

STEPS:

• Determine the rough dimensions of your bag. I used a bucket and measured around it to get an idea of the width I need. I settled for 40″. For the height, I made them all 24″. The landscape fabric is 48″ wide, so doubled it and made that the height of the bags.
  • Using measuring tape and scissors, cut the fabric to needed dimensions.
diy fabric grow bags
diy fabric grow bags
  • Set up your sewing machine. Make sure the fabric is lined up properly, then start sewing the two sides. I double stitched mine. 
  • You’ll end up at this point with a flat bottom bag, like a pillow case. To give it support, you’ll need to sew the bottom corners.
diy fabric grow bags
  • Here's where it gets a little tricky. Like I said above, the post I used as reference didn’t have any notes on how big those corner pieces should be. I never made bags before so I had to figure out a way to measure mine. …and it involves math. If you have an easier way to figure out this part, go for it! Otherwise, try following along my steps.
diy fabric grow bags

Here’s what all of this means:

• The bag is going to have a diameter of 11.5″. That’s the same length that the bottom seam of the bag needs to be so it’s a cylinder that’s got the same inner measurements at the top and bottom (more or less; no need to be super exact).
  • The bottom seam measures 18″, so I deducted 11.5″ to see how much I need to adjust to get those two dimensions to match.
  • The answer is 6.5″. There are two corners, so I’d have to sew 3.25″ (or 3″ to round it and make my life easier) from each corner seam to get my grow bag cylinder shape.

To measure, I used a marker, ruler and cardboard to make squares on both sides at the bottom corners, measuring 3″ from the seam.

diy fabric grow bags
diy fabric grow bags
  • After all four sides are marked, lift and flatten out the corners. You should have a straight 3″ line going in both directions from the main bottom seam. Sew a hem along that line. That’ll give your bag the bottom you need.
diy fabric grow bags
diy fabric grow bags
  • Flip the bag inside out and roll the top as much as you’d like.
  • Lastly, fill up with soil and plants! 
diy fabric grow bags
diy fabric grow bags

Mila @ HomeWorked

• Catherine Smith

Is this landscape fabric porous, so that water can pass through the bag?

• Catherine Smith

Thank you. This must be a newer type of landscaping fabric. I'm a Master Gardener and only do organics, so it's something I'll check into. The older types were not porous and very hard to work with.

• Redcatcec

What a great idea, now for the question:

I have some plastic bags that contained uncooked rice from a local Asian restaurant, they are about 3' tall, do you think they can be repurposed for this project?

• Mila @ HomeWorked

Haven't thought about plastic bags or tried, but like the idea! Like Sandra said, you'd need some drain holes. Since they held rice, I'm assuming they're sturdy so it should work for this purpose.

• Jimrusk

Do you know what the cost ended up for each bag?

• Mila @ HomeWorked

We used some of the fabric for our planter boxes and still have some left for more bags, but if I were to make only bags from the entire roll, it would be about $2.00/bag. The 50' roll was $25 + thread @ $5.0. I cut 40" of fabric for each bag.